Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 5 pickups

Hi All,
    could someone please tell me if the Charvel Model 5 had active pickups? There's a Model 5 going really cheaply at the moment and it has some knacker old passive pickups installed.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Mark.

None had active pickups. Charvel/Jackson's own pickups were all passive.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Ok cool, I can replace them with Seymour JB's instead.

That's weird, my old Model 4 has active pups and a battery inside.

Comment

Your Model 4 has passive pickups... the battery is for the active Jackson electronics that were used on certain models... gain boost, mid boost, or wah sweep, and they can be used with any brand passive pickups but usually sound best with the Jackson pups they were created for.

Comment

Well, you learn something new every day! I've been thinking they were active pickups for the last 24 years!
          Thanks very much for the information .

Do you think they'll sound ok with JB's?

Comment

You're welcome. They might sound okay with the JB, you'd just have to judge for yourself.

Comment

I tried a JB in my model 5 but went back to the J-80. Then I gutted everything in put in Blackouts. I would suggest a Custom (SH5) will get you closer to the J-80 than the JB, it's got a little smoother midrange.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Did the JB have to much base / mid range? I have a JB lying around you see. Guess I could get the SH5 then.
                Another thing, could you please tell me, is the Model 5 neck wider than the Model 4?
                Thanks.

Comment

LOL! Asking Toe if he likes a JB it like asking me if shit tastes good LOL! He's usually in the anti-JB camp (maybe with a few exceptions).

The SH5 is the most popular pickup on this board. That's like asking if Jenna Jamisson is hot LOL!

Both the M4 and M5 necks should be about 2 1/4" wide. I know the M4 is. Never had an M5.

Agree with Hellbat. The J80C is a very good sounding Jackson pickup. I have one in an M4 and an M6, but both have the pre-amp that influences the tone.

Comment

I'll have to give the SH5 a go then.
                    Looking at the neck of the Model 5 at the 12 fret it looks wider than the Model 4. But I can find any spec about the Model 5 neck.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      LOL! Asking Toe if he likes a JB it like asking me if shit tastes good LOL! He's usually in the anti-JB camp (maybe with a few exceptions).
                      LOL Indeed, I was never really a fan of the JB. Always liked it better in mahogany. Though, the JB did sound pretty good in my black RR1T, but I wound up selling that guitar. It did sound decent in my GMG RR1T, but I also ripped that one out. I also ripped one out of my old Hamer Special with thick maple top. The JB does sound really good in my all mahogany Hamer Special, but I'm probably ripping that one out soon, too.

Comment

The model 5 and 6 does not have active pickups, they have a mid boost circuit.

Comment

Working...
                        X