Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of making a semi custom so cal. Need opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of making a semi custom so cal. Need opinions.

I am leaning towards buying a loaded so cal body for 350 and a wild card 7 neck (also with tuners and nut) and putting them together because I have always wanted a so cal with a ebony fingerboard. My only concern is if this is a really stupid idea...if so i would get the maple neck for it. And if it is a good idea then wht color body would be best? Im thinking Blue because it would go with the headstock better and blue doesnt show nicks/scratches like red and black shows a lot of fingerprints.

thank you for your time!

Why would it be a stupid idea?

Why would it be a good idea?

I think it's just and idea

If that's what you want then do it.

I just don't like those yellow dot position markers.

You could get the headstock refinished.

Comment

I am with DonP. Why would you think this stupid or good? It is all about what YOU want. Some guys spend buku money mixing and matching to get what they want. Try it out, if your don't like that combo, try something else. As far as colors, it's a personal choice, but Black is a Jackson standard to me.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, I think I'm gonna go for it.

Comment

The only thing I don't like about the Wildcard 7 is those yellow fret markers and yellow logo. That's why I don't have one.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            The only thing I don't like about the Wildcard 7 is those yellow fret markers and yellow logo. That's why I don't have one.
            I know what you mean, if i can get a wild card 8 neck it would be perfect, but at least the yellow markers are something not everyone has.

Comment

Refining headstocks is cake, for about 25$ you can make it look pro and I can walk ya through it. Get the color ya want and go to town..but is there honestly a HUGE difference in the so cal body that you just cant go with a wildcard 7 by itself?
              Haters gonna hate
              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                Refining headstocks is cake, for about 25$ you can make it look pro and I can walk ya through it. Get the color ya want and go to town..but is there honestly a HUGE difference in the so cal body that you just cant go with a wildcard 7 by itself?
                I dont like the color and dont have too much cash for a paint job, i like two humbuckers and will add a single in the middle because its routed for that, i like the picguard because personally i think its easyer to change parts out of it, and i have a ton for guitars with seymour duncan pups but none with dimarzio. plus i'm not the biggest fan of recessed Floyd's. yes its a bit of a big difference. and also how do you change the headstock? will i be able to get the charvel logo back on it?

thanks,

Comment

Funny that, I'd have the primer guitar whole, if it didn't have those stupid yellow fret dots and a recessed floyd. Also really fancy the aqua, but again the recessed floyd turns me off it completely.
                  You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Nothing wrong with your idea d_o_z, you just got the disease like the rest of us, that`s all... like that neck would go nice on that body and these pick ups would sound good too.

I actually think it`s a pretty good idea, the feel of the neck on my #5 is like carving up warm butter... I`m not one give a shit about what colour the head stock or dot markers are though.

Good luck with it and keep us updated with your project.

Comment

ya you can easily relogo the headstock after a repaint
                      Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I'm so going to do this now.

Comment

My only advice is make sure you get the pukka neck bolts, as they slide about with Fender screws. USA neck bolts are best, if you can get them, even if the neck holes need enlarging fractionally. I have a stock dreamsicle that you can just about move the neck on and although they will bite in the neck ok, Fender bolts on mutts are so slim it's not funny, they just jiggle about in the Jap bodies. Very important small detail that can drive you crazy. Tried PTFE tape and all sorts but nothing works. It's not a neck heel fitting body heel issue, that doesn't matter at all no matter how sloppy, it whether the bolts have the diameter to fit snug in the body.

Japanese Pro Mods use a No.9 screw x 1 3/4" (45mm)
                          USA Pro Mods use a No.10 screw x 1 3/4" (45mm)

Ones on Ebay are either Fender (No. 8 x 45mm) or too chunky (No.12)

Both are raised head countersunk and just about impossble to get anywhere else, and who really wants to pay an extra 70 bucks for a neckplate...just for the neck screws? So definitely worth thinking about whether plate is including with neck or body.

Some people report using Fender screws and they will do on Jap Pro Mods, but personally, they bother me as when I press down hard on the neck, it moves slightly, if that neck is in a tight neck pocket, then it coul potentially become a paint crack issue.

While we are on the subject of wasting money on mutts that we love putting together, do you reckon buying a left handed DK2 for $300, purely for the neck, so that I can cut/route it down to 22 frets and rebind the heel of it to put on a Crosby Firebird....is completely mad? I am still waiting to get the funds to do that.

Post it up here when you're done.
                          Last edited by ginsambo; 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM.
                          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

The body comes with the pro md neck screws and plate so i dont need any others. and for 300 bucks maybe what you can do is sell the body for 100 or so on ebay after you're done.

Comment

Working...
                            X