NGD. i have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD. i have a problem

ok, i am addicted. not looking for any guitars and somehow ended up buying two.

so the model 88 popped up, i had one back in 1988 brand new and was sort of looking for a mahogany guitar. well this one popped up and i just went into robot mode and purchased it without thinking. it is in great condition for it's age. just a few dings here and there.

so, next up, don't know why on earth i searched guitar centers' used website for "charvel" but i did. well, neck through, always wanted one and up pops a 550 in silver sparkle for 399 with case. damnit. out comes the amex!

i like guitar center because sometimes they have great prices and if you don't like the guitar you can march it righ back to any guitar center and get a refund no questions asked. right now they have what looks to be a model 6 for 350.

so anyway, thread is useless without pics right?

Nice!

How much (if I may ask) did you pay for the 88?

Comment

paid 400 for the 88. just tore her down and put her back together. the pickup is a steve's special but everything else save for one tunning head is unmolested original.

all but one of the clamps on the OHSC is missing but i am still glad to have the case.

Comment

Wow, grats! Two amazing Charvels. Silver Sparkle is one of the few glittery finishes I like. They also sell for a premium. And you stole the 88. If you don't like them, don't return them to GC, put them on ebay and make a few bucks, or pass them to someone here.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

if i sell them, don't we always? i will sell them here. i spent an hour playing the 88 last night and i am very very pleased. she definitly has some playing time on her but the kid who sold her to me took very good care of her. perfectly intonated, just the right amount of relief in the neck but probably on the verge of a crown and dress. which is fine, she'll be a perfect player afterwards.

Comment

Actually, no. Most Charvel/Jackson collectors don't sell those, they're usually cherished guitars. Charvel 750XLs trans tops, 650/550's in silver or platinum/gold, Model 88's, a few of the non-US Stratheads... they don't show up anymore because they weren't made in great numbers.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

you're probably right, these are two killer charvels. the 88 sat on atlanta craigslist for two weeks. i ignored it the first time i saw it but when he reposted two weeks later, i just grabbed it, didn't even think twice.

keep in mind i've never seen or touched the 550 that's on the way. the guitar center add gave it 3 stars for condition and said it included case. usually i call the store and ask several questions but this time i just pulled the trigger.

Comment

550's are really nice and that color is hard to find and both will bring a premium.The 88's cool too even with the non original pick up only 1000 made 500 for the US market 500 for the Asian market.
                What is the serial number on the 88? it will be a 4 digit number.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm curious if you 550XL has a fatter neck on it. My seems fat compared to my Model 4 and Model 6s.

Comment

BTW you don't have what I would consider a "problem" and I'm willing too bet a lot of others here will agree with me. Nice double score.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

0573 is the serial number on the 88. as soon as the 550 gets here i will post up. i checked the guitar center ad again and it got 4 stars not 3. i am resisting the urge to call and ask about it.

Comment

1-500 were US market 500-1000 were Asian market

Comment

I picked up #0227 off eBay a little while ago. This one was a bit mutilated: old style logo looks like it was exacto'd off; headstock point was chopped a bit and looks like an ESP headstock; J95 is long gone and in its place a DiMarzio PAF Pro; and there was a route done because another DiMarzio PAF Pro is in the neck pickup area (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and it's activated via the sole volume knob, it's now push-pull. Its JT-6 was missing a string block cover so I put one of my Kahler Steelers in it instead, it sounds great in both positions.

Comment

Its a shame when people do that to a limited run type guitar.
                            Here was mine.# 0299 IIRC
                            Last edited by straycat; 08-19-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notthatguy View Post
                              I picked up #0227 off eBay a little while ago. This one was a bit mutilated: old style logo looks like it was exacto'd off; headstock point was chopped a bit and looks like an ESP headstock; J95 is long gone and in its place a DiMarzio PAF Pro; and there was a route done because another DiMarzio PAF Pro is in the neck pickup area (which shouldn't exist in the first place) and it's activated via the sole volume knob, it's now push-pull. Its JT-6 was missing a string block cover so I put one of my Kahler Steelers in it instead, it sounds great in both positions.
                              I remember that one. Fugly. Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X