Has anyone bought a desolation star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone bought a desolation star?

Wondering how they are as no one here seems to have em.

Not real keen on the schecteresque bling but what can ya do i can always refin
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

I think the cheap one is the best looking one. Simple and basic, just screaming for an 80's refin. The stars are more expensive for some reason. There was a "3" model skatecaster for 199 on ebay the other day. Seemed like a nice project. Theres actually a couple of NGD posts on the desolation stars.

Comment

I believe MartinBarre did a post where he did a refin on one. My local dealer has one of the floyded neck through ones but it was trans black. If it was a string through blue smear I'd have probably bought it.

edit*

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/130...ion-Star-DST-3
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
        I think the cheap one is the best looking one. Simple and basic, just screaming for an 80's refin.
        +1. I may eventually get a black or white one.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't typically like star bodies. I didn't typically like this one. However, it is thinner and you know what? I'm kinda liking the Ibenshecterization of the line. They're lighter and thinner, they also resonate very well. The necks, if you put in some work, are pretty amazing.

If you know you like star models and really want one of these, I'd be surprised if you didn't grow to like it.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Played two last Satuday one black one white bolt on BTW.DS-3T
            They felt great but 24 frets kinda looks odd to me.
            Sounded pretty good and looked fine to me.I call them a model series star because they feel like a model series Charvel.
            Played a neck thru soloist type Charvel with the bling and loved it!
            They are doing a bolt on DS-3 variant too.They kicked ass IMO for very low bucks.
            The MIC Charvels are decent players.
            Last edited by straycat; 08-14-2012, 08:28 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have the Trans Blue DST-1 with the stop tail and the EMGs. The binding works very well with the color. The EMGs kick all kinds of ass in this guitar. I love the feel of it and the neck is awesome. I have to recommend it! The lower models lend themselves to refining in a classic Star graphic or color but I am digging my Trans Blue!
              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
              ENGL Powerball II
              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
              1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
              1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
              2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
              2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
              2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
              2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
              2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
              2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
              2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
              1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Didn't look did you

This is mine......... http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/132...My-1st-Charvel

And there's this.... http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/130...ion-Star-DST-3

Or to save you the time, they are awesome.

Comment

I played a Desolation Star some months back, here's what i wrote in another thread:

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                  I had the chance to try out a DST-1 FR at a store a few weeks back. It played really nice, the three-piece oiled neck felt nice (although could have done with a few more coats of oil if you ask me). The profile is thin, not Jackson speed profile thin mind, but really comfortable and fast. The action was low and it sounded pretty good with the EMGs. The only annoying thing was the abrupt transition from the unpainted neck to the body, you can really feel it and it's slightly irritating. It felt pretty solid and well built but you could tell that the wood isn't the best. The attention to detail is generally ok as well but one thing that disappointed me is that at the point where the clear meets the unfinished neck, you can see that they cleared over the fretboard binding as well; so you have a matte finish on the neck and binding up to around the 17th fret or something then suddenly the binding is glossy. This is obviously nothing that affects the playablity of course but it just brings out the OCD in me.

I didn't get a chance to play any of the other Desolation series hanging in the store but having a close look at a few of them i must say i was pretty impressed. The single cutaway, double cutaway and Skatecaster actually looked pretty solid and badass. I was also quite impressed by the tops on the trans finish models, they had a pretty decent flame to them and I also liked the fact that the headstock logo was a pearloid finish rather than just white. The abalone bling isn't for everyone (myself included) but i think it works well with the trans finishes. They also have black chrome hardware ala ESP which is nice; standard chrome looks cheap IMO.

Anyway, all things considered i think with the Desolation series you definitely get a lot of guitar for the money.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                    I played a Desolation Star some months back, here's what i wrote in another thread:
                    I took off the tuners for the first time and redid my neck again. After going over all of it several times and getting the finish sanding perfect, I honestly couldn't tell you that there was lower quality wood like it felt like when I first got it. With all the additional work I put into it, it feels as good or better than any MIJ Charvel or Jackson neck I've ever played. And yeah, if you're ocd, you really won't want one of these guitars. Everything will bug you. The back of the headstock was still rough. Felt like 400 grit was the highest they went. I did 1500 and 2000 and it closed up all the pores. It's quite nice now.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Seriously, sometimes I wonder why I bother with the fucking internet, when someone can't even see a thread on the first page of a forum. "Fuck the search function"? How about just looking on the first page for fuck sake before starting a thread?
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hey dickmunch the search WAS NOT FUCKING WORKING AT THE TIME. How about you eat my ass with a spoon. Also there were NO other threads that I noticed at the time, you dont like it cmon over and we can discuss it over a beer. I apologize I didnt see your post, please by all means come give my cock a mouth hug so you can get over it.
                        Haters gonna hate
                        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                          hey dickmunch the search was not fucking working at the time. How about you eat my ass with a spoon. Also there were no other threads that i noticed at the time, you dont like it cmon over and we can discuss it over a beer. I apologize i didnt see your post, please by all means come give my cock a mouth hug so you can get over it.
                          hahahaha!!!
                          1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
                          1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
                          2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
                          2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
                          2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
                          2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
                          1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
                          2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
                          2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
                          1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              pwned by the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X