Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible MIC "b" stock identifier.... Beware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible MIC "b" stock identifier.... Beware.

Saw this in an ebay auction:

So if you see this, beware... it is either used, refurbished or B stock. While the guitar may be perfect, don't pay new prices for them and used prices would similarly be lower.

Last edited by xenophobe; 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Not "b" stock, thats the serial number label for guitars remanufactured by MIRC. Generally, theyre fine... My limited RR24 is a MIRC guitar and I honestly couldnt be more happy with it. B stock guitars are guitars straight from the manufacturer that didnt quite make the cut. Remans are just that, usually guitars damaged during handling or shipping. Could be as small as a paint chip, or as large as the neck snapped in half.

Whats also not visible in that pic is a very light "used" stamped above the last tuner. This is so you cant file a warranty claim against the OEM.

Oh and one last thing, MIRC is an american company, so chances are theyll pay more attention to the guitar than the OEM did as well.
    Last edited by RobRR; 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

What he said...I got a bass from them a year ago....no issues whatsoever

Comment

What's with all this "Crafted" shit? "Crafted" in India. "Crafted" in China. "Made" in USA. WTF? Am I, as a consumer, supposed to be impressed by that and believe that the low wages and deplorable working conditions of a 3rd world sweatshop no longer exist? Or that these workers are dedicated to working in these deplorable conditions for these low wages for the sake of their "Craft"?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          Not "b" stock, thats the serial number label for guitars remanufactured by MIRC. Generally, theyre fine... My limited RR24 is a MIRC guitar and I honestly couldnt be more happy with it. B stock guitars are guitars straight from the manufacturer that didnt quite make the cut. Remans are just that, usually guitars damaged during handling or shipping. Could be as small as a paint chip, or as large as the neck snapped in half.

Whats also not visible in that pic is a very light "used" stamped above the last tuner. This is so you cant file a warranty claim against the OEM.

Oh and one last thing, MIRC is an american company, so chances are theyll pay more attention to the guitar than the OEM did as well.
          Thank you for describing the term "B stock".

A stock is brand new straight from the manufacturer or distributor and has never left retail channels. B stock can be warehouse scratch and dent or it can be factory warranty repair of new stock, or it can be refurbished. B stock just means the guitar isn't considered brand new A stock, but isn't a directly used customer return.

Comment

Oh yeah....
            to add to my previous post. Definitely b stock. But still no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              What's with all this "Crafted" shit? "Crafted" in India. "Crafted" in China. "Made" in USA. WTF? Am I, as a consumer, supposed to be impressed by that and believe that the low wages and deplorable working conditions of a 3rd world sweatshop no longer exist? Or that these workers are dedicated to working in these deplorable conditions for these low wages for the sake of their "Craft"?
              IIRC, Fender started this crap with "Crafted in Japan". Maybe it's a terminology loophole so that they don't have to say "Made in blablabla".

Crafted? That means little elves are meticulously crafting these fine guitars using centuries of experience and out of magical tonewoods from the dark forest

Comment

What's MIRC?

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Thank you for describing the term "B stock".

A stock is brand new straight from the manufacturer or distributor and has never left retail channels. B stock can be warehouse scratch and dent or it can be factory warranty repair of new stock, or it can be refurbished. B stock just means the guitar isn't considered brand new A stock, but isn't a directly used customer return.
                  You're very welcome.

There is a clear difference between b stock and refurbished. Fact is, the guitar you posted is not a b stock guitar, its refurbished. Two VERY different animals.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Cool that they're multi-laminate necks, but that's a weird neck/headstock transition.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You're very welcome.

There is a clear difference between b stock and refurbished. Fact is, the guitar you posted is not a b stock guitar, its refurbished. Two VERY different animals.
                      From my time as a purchase agent for a retail store, B stock was always offered to us by distributors for a lower price. A stock is factory brand new stock. Refurb is considered B stock because it cannot be sold as brand new, but isn't a direct customer return which would not be an A or B stock item because it is a used item. B stock sometimes included items damaged by shipping or other means that was still functional, could be A stock with damaged packaging, it could be refurb, it could be last years discontinued model that they're trying to blow out. I thought I already stated this. Oh wait, I did. :P

Instead of being an asshole, I'll reiterate... B stock does not have to be refurbished, but a refurbished unit being resold is usually considered B stock by the retailer.
                      Last edited by xenophobe; 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I thought the B stock stood for the (B)utchers block neck.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You're very welcome.

But hey, you know what... I used the term way before I ever heard it applied to guitars. With guitars you may be spot on. I have no idea and that's just my understanding of the terms. ymmv.

And I didn't come here to start a debate on the proper use of specific nomenclature. I just wanted to post a heads up so anyone looking in this forum or searching for this info could easily find it.
                          Last edited by xenophobe; 08-07-2012, 11:56 PM.

Comment

No harm, no foul!

My interpretation of b stock vs refurb is mainly limited to guitars, it could very well be different in other realms. I bought a refurb Gateway computer years back, but I have no idea what was done to it, what was wrong with it or who fixed it... all I know is that its been great and I saved hundreds on it. At least with my refurb limited rr24, I know exactly where it came from and who fixed it, which is kinda cool. Its also a good thing beings that even though its friggin killer, the refurb kinda kills the "collectability" of it down the line, so I wont be afraid to play the hell out of it live!

Comment

I saw a single-cut desolation at a local store here that had the used stamp and the serial sticker about 2 months ago. The consignment price made me hang it back up, it was more than a new one with a warranty. I was beginning to think Alien/crackwhore had moved to WV....

I think MIRC is a noble cause, they're policy is up-front as to what it is, and is easily identified. It just burns me up that someone thinks they can get the 'new' price (or more) for it.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X