Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded my model 1...

And...wow!!!!

I picked this up a couple years ago for $150, and recently I hadn't played it at all...very little actually. I got a guy who wanted to buy it from me, and before I went to sell it I played it, realized how comfortable and nice it was and decided to try and upgrade it some to see if I could enjoy it more as a guitar.

So I dropped in a Dimarizio Super Distortion in it to replace the stock pickup and changed the strings on it for the first time in a longer time than I want to admit and all I can say is wow! It is super comfy for me to play now, and sounds incredible. I have an Epi Les Paul, '87 Kramer Baretta, Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro, and this Charvel model 1 and only the Gibson sounds better.

I am now considering purchasing an OFR and adding it on, I am super glad I didn't sell this guitar! There is no greater guitar I could have gotten for the price. I could baretly put it down to write this!

Thats awesome! I've been thinking about getting a model series charvel for a while...
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

A Model 1 has a V-Trem. It would be easier to sell the Model 1 and get a Model 2 for a similar price than to try and put an OFR in it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        A Model 1 has a V-Trem. It would be easier to sell the Model 1 and get a Model 2 for a similar price than to try and put an OFR in it.
        I realize this, which is why I haven't already done it lol. But it is a valid point, another main reason I haven't done it is because I don't know anybody that could do the wood work where I live...

However I just love the maple neck, and don't want to sell a guitar I enjoy so much. Im actually in the market right now for a high end Charvel but it seems impossible for me to find a maple HH pointy...

@Maiden89: I would if I were you, they are just really nice playable guitars at a great price. I literally wouldn't trade my model 1 for a lot of high end American guitars I have played (from a playing standpoint)

Comment

I had a M1 that I upgraded w SD Dist and recessed Schaller floyd, and that was the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever owned. Hands down. Lost, in one of those pawn shop/jail time deals during hard times in another lifetime, and sorely missed. Enjoy her, those guitars rule.

My vtrem sucked though, esp on the high B and E. Those guitars are well worth the trouble of having a FR installed IMO.

Comment

I really like the vtrem on the model one. Solid block saddles with the teardrop apperture - classy. And doesn't give me strat-hand as bad as the folded metal saddles on most stock vtrems available now. But I use it as a hardtail, 5 springs, taking the plate down to the deck and raising the saddles so the screws are barely peeking out. Putting a floyd in sounds cool if you're a floyd guy and gonna use it.
            Last edited by MIB; 07-20-2012, 03:54 AM.

Comment

I am definately a floyd guy and would use it lol. The only guitars I play without floyds are my Les Paul and this model 1.

Comment

The model 1 has a flat neck pocket so no angle to the neck the model 2 had the JT-6 and a slanted neck pocket.
                If you put a floyd on the model 1 the bridge is going to be high off the body.You would have to shim the neck and add an after the nut string lock.
                A floyd nut wont work because of the truss rod nut getting in the way.
                I would just get a model 2.
                A clean model 1 is getting hard to find so leave it as is. The super D is a great choice for these guitars.
                BTW the Gotoh 105 is one of the best V trems out there.
                Last edited by straycat; 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X