Ngd charvel model 4 pawn shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd charvel model 4 pawn shop find

Got this one for 150.00, model 4, 86 I'm pretty sure, the paint job is a little odd, but I'm gonna fix that pretty quick, pick ups are all stock, seem to work fine, J50 BC in bridge( I had to know, so I took pick up ring loose to inspect), Kahler standard trem, serial no is 233141, the neck is sclloped? go figure, I'll try to get pics of the neck, looks odd but plays fantastic, who ever did it, did a good job, frets are in great shape, should be a fun project to restore, later all

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel002.jpg
    http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel003.jpg
    http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel004.jpg
    http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel005.jpg

heres a couple of the scalloped neck
    http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel007.jpg
    http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/w...charvel006.jpg
    Last edited by rufkut; 07-14-2012, 09:32 PM.

Nice grab, the scalloping could be good or bad (but is generally bad in term of resale value). But, for $150, you can't really go wrong. Is that purple original? I don't seem to recall those being available in purple (but I'm not an authority on that model).

Comment

thanks for the reply, no not original, it was originally white(as evident by the chips in paint they used) I might just strip it down, stain it, light coat of clear coat and be done with it, I agree on the re sale, but one mans junk is another mans treasure, someone who's into that sort of thing will probably love it, later axe man, ( Im a tree trimmer by trade, so no offense intended)

Comment

Yeah if the JE1200 and both pots are all working cleanly, those are sweet.

Comment

I have 233512. It's black, but no scalloping It came with only a Full Shred. I've since put it all back together and went with gold hardware. I re-installed a JE1200, a DiMarzio HS2 in the neck, HS3 in the middle, and a J80C in the bridge. A lot of people say the HS2 and HS3 have low output, but the JE1200 solves that and makes them closer to the output of the J80C.

Comment

I'll chime in here and say the HS2 and HS3 are CRAZY low output, you totally need a boost pedal and cranked Marshall for those to sound good (despite their 20 Kohm resistance)

Comment

Wassup Don, yeah, I would have preferred the guitar with out the scalloping, but surprisingly enough its plays pretty well anyway, OK I have to ask this, so IF it sounds stupid, feel free to make fun of me, what is the point behind scalloping a neck?

Comment

Originally posted by rufkut View Post
                Wassup Don, yeah, I would have preferred the guitar with out the scalloping, but surprisingly enough its plays pretty well anyway, OK I have to ask this, so IF it sounds stupid, feel free to make fun of me, what is the point behind scalloping a neck?

So you can "bring the fookin fury"!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  I'll chime in here and say the HS2 and HS3 are CRAZY low output, you totally need a boost pedal and cranked Marshall for those to sound good (despite their 20 Kohm resistance)
                  That's what the JE1200 is for. It's like an onboard boost pedal and it works pretty killer!

My only issue is that at full volume and full boost, I get a squeal if the guitar is close to the amp. I don't know if these pickups come un-potted or if someone did something to them (bought them used). Not a big deal, I just back off the volume a little.

Comment

Originally posted by rufkut View Post
                    Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen are famous players who use it. They both used vintage strats, which had vintage frets. So, instead of having them refretted with Jumbos, they scalloped the fretboard.

So you could say the jumbo frets replaced the need to scallop. It's all about keeping the fretboard out of the way when doing bends.

Why someone would scallop a Model 4 which had big frets to begin with, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Nice grab, the scalloping could be good or bad (but is generally bad in term of resale value). But, for $150, you can't really go wrong. Is that purple original? I don't seem to recall those being available in purple (but I'm not an authority on that model).
                      The purple is original. It's called "Black Cherry." I have one that I bought new in 1986, and a guitar instructor I used back then also had one in that color.

Dana <~~~
                      '85 Rhoads Custom
                      '86 SD Str*t
                      '86 Model 4 (5)
                      '87 Model 1
                      '87 Model 6
                      '88 Model 3DR
                      '90 650 XL
                      '94 KE-3
                      '97 DR Amberburst
                      '97 Dinky BOFlames
                      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

That doesn't look like black cherry. Looks like a refin to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
                          That doesn't look like black cherry. Looks like a refin to me.
                          Well, I guess I didn't read the post very well...he says it's white underneath. Anyway, at least on my screen, it's really hard to see the purple. I just assumed it was black cherry. My bad, if it's a refin.

Dana <~~~
                          '85 Rhoads Custom
                          '86 SD Str*t
                          '86 Model 4 (5)
                          '87 Model 1
                          '87 Model 6
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '90 650 XL
                          '94 KE-3
                          '97 DR Amberburst
                          '97 Dinky BOFlames
                          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

Hey Dana, yes its a re-fin job, I have a Black Cherry 1988 Ibanez 540S Saber, with the mini toggles, and mini 3 way,(neck is to die for) so I am aware of that black cherry color as well, too bad this aint it, but thanks for the reply any how,

Comment

Working...
                            X