New to Charvels. Just picked up an '86 Model 6. Lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Charvels. Just picked up an '86 Model 6. Lots of pics

Hey everyone. I just got a 1986 Model 6 in trade. I had initially put it on Ebay but started playing it and I really like it so I'm going to keep it. I traded it for a 300.00 Korean BC Rich so I got a good deal as far as I can tell. It definitely plays better. What are some things to know about these, or issues that I would want to know about? Also What pickups are good for these? The stock Jacksons are ok but I may swap them out down the road. I was initially trying to get my hands on a Wildcard #6 but this will do for now. It's got a better neck than any of my other guitars and plays very well. So far so good with it. The serial is C000364 so it would be an early run correct?

Some pics:

Welcome aboard brother, that a pretty cool start, on your Charvel collection, I started with one not too long ago, now I have 6, the sickness continues, nice snag, looks like its a closet queen,allthe guys here on the forum are great, for knowledge, don't be afraid to ask for help, enjoy the model 6

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I was looking through pics and noticed a lot of the 6's have Jackson marked pickups. Are the ones on mine just unmarked Jacksons?

Comment

The Kahler is correct but the pup covers are not?
        I'll wait for the experts to chime in there.

Either way you came out double your money for the trade.
        Congrats and thanks for the GTWGITP.

Comment

Have to ask.... GTWGITP? I've seen a lot of acronyms here. Is there a list I missed somewhere? Haha

Comment

Getthewholeguitarinthepic. Finally figured it out.

Comment

GTWGITS (get the whole guitar in the shot)

I guess pic would work too, but GTWGITS is faster to pronounce

FU, Cygnus!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

From what I've read, the earliest covered pickups didn't have the logos.

Your pickups are 2 J200 singles (stacked humbucking) and a J50B(C?) bridge. The singles have a fairly high DC resistance. The J50 is a hot PAF wind. You have a JE1200 boost as well.

A lot of people like the stock electronics, and a lot hate them. I have 2 6's and one is 100% stock, the other had a J80C in the bridge. People will say to put EMG's in there if you are swapping.

I'd say you have a better guitar than a MIK BC Rich. This one is MIJ, so that's an upgrade there.

I'd say sell something else to get the Wildcard #6.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Nice axe but my condolences for the Kahler.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    GTWGITS (get the whole guitar in the shot)

I guess pic would work too, but GTWGITS is faster to pronounce

FU, Cygnus!
                    My own variation just to muddy the waters.

Comment

Great score. I also have a cobalt blue model 6 like yours except mine is an 87 with the JT6 trem. Try swapping in a fresh 9v battery and see if that helps with you tone before you start replacing the pickups.

Comment

I haven't really seen any issues with the Kahler yet. I really don't use it that much but the guitar stays in tune which is all I care about. I would like the guitar much better if it was a hardtail but it is what it is.

Comment

Hey I am sure I will be corrected , if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure on that Kahler you can lock it, in position, turning it into a hard tail, in my opinion better, because theres more mass on that kahler than a standard hard tail, making the sustain better,

Comment

I'm not sure if you can lock it, but you can buy a fixed Kahler. That's the bridge that Mustaine axes come with.

Nothing wrong with a Kahler.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              I'm not sure if you can lock it, but you can buy a fixed Kahler. That's the bridge that Mustaine axes come with.

Nothing wrong with a Kahler.
                              Apparently there is according to Mustaine, he called them a "tone sucker".
                              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                              X