NGD: Japan snow white So-Cal.....probably not for me :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Japan snow white So-Cal.....probably not for me :(

Played superstrats in the 80's but the last 20 years I've mostly been a Gibson guy and most my trem guitars were Fender or PRS style and I didn't use them. Enter snow white So-Cal GAS. Picked one up and its a really good guitar. Plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks incredible; but man its apparent that my style has evolved and I am not liking the Floyd at all. So I don't know if I'm to flip it, trade it, part it out, or block it and keep it a while. I originally had GAS for a Jake style hardtail.

Excellent Acquisition, that's a awesome looking guitar, Id try blocking it, and keeping it, if ya flip it, you'll miss it later

Comment

Block it for dive only with a small piece of wood in the trem cavity. If you still don't bond, flip it.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had the same problem. Keep it!

Look at it this way, ultimately the bridge height is the same, its just the trem that is the issue, and maybe the Vol pot. position.

Don't block the trem, it gets to be so annoying, what I did was just get 5 tight springs on there and balance the trem it with those and learn to go a little more lightly. Very soon enough you will be able to transcend between the two easily and it won't adversely affect your style. The five springs will make it firmer and easier to get used to.

From my experience Charvels have improved my style and technique overall, although at first I did think they were taking something away from it.

The way I am now I think a TOM Bridge with a longer scale length would be preferable to a Gibson scale for pounding heavy riffage, but I still go for the Charvel as first choice, even for the Rhoadsy stuff, which even I can't quite believe....Yes the temptation to do the light touch widdly widdly is hard to overcome when you pick them up, but definately worth keeping, if not only to throw a new aspect on your playing.

No doubt about it a Les Paul is a more soulful guitar and hardtails more sustainy and responsive, but you'll be missing out on a lot if you let the So Cal go I reckon, there are some things, sounds and tones that you can do and get out of them that you just can't get out of a Les Paul. Clarity for one.

In all I reckon it took me about 5 months of playing to get used to them and I can still go back and hit a Gibson with my older style full on when I need to, I haven't lost anything, just gained a whole lot more.

I don't know if you are gigging, but it will teach you to be a lot more efficient with your playing, in a good way so you can play for longer, you can always bring on the Gibson artillery if you need it.

Don't know what your right hand style is but I tend to play with my thumb bent back with a lot of wrist swinging action, based on the base of my thumb on the strings as a pivot with alot of 'Up' picks, especially for double stop pedal tone riffage etc, although I will try and use my forearm for alot of stuff so I don't get worn out. I use the same technique on the Charvels no probs. just rest on the strings/bridge a lot lighter and sometimes move away from the strings completely and swing freely whilst still having a lot of control which is something I never attempted on a Les Paul type setup, because I didn't have to. That and the introduction of more forearm movement have improved my technique and attack control no end as well as improving efficiency of playing.
        Last edited by ginsambo; 07-08-2012, 07:59 AM.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
        X