My 88' Model2 vs. new So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 88' Model2 vs. new So Cal

I'm really digging the new white with black pick guard and maple board So Cals. How do these feel and play compared to my 88' Model2? I realize it has a neck pickup and more options with the pickups but what about the way it feels and plays in my hands and the quality of the two?

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
    How do these feel and play compared to my 88' Model2?
    If you have both guitars, try playing one, then play the other and see how they compare.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      If you have both guitars, try playing one, then play the other and see how they compare.
      I don't have the So Cal. Never played one and they don't have any at the music stores around me. Just curious in case I decide to order one online. Seems to be a lot of bang for buck.

Comment

I thought you were saying you have a new So Cal.

It's simple as this. So Cal's are great, and Pro Mods are no longer made, so if you are going to decide you had better make up your mind before they are all gone, if they aren't already.

I don't have a Model 2. I do have an 86 Model 4 and a 275 neck (for a project). Necks are similar, except the older Models have a shiney finish and the new Pro Mod necks are sort of satin finished.

Comment

Cool... Do you have a So Cal or have just played them? Didn't realize they would not be made anymore... I kind of thought that was one of their top sellers?

Comment

I have a Wildcard #4 Aqua and I'm building a MIJ San Dimas. I have all the parts, just trying to decide which pickups and then put it together.

I heard either the Japanese factory either got hit by the Tsunami or they weren't making enough of a profit and shut the factory down. Either way, we are not going to be seeing high quality MIJ Chavels or Jacksons any time soon, if ever. The new Charvels are coming out of China.

Comment

Thanks for the information... Looking forward to seeing your finished San Dimas. What made you want to build it? Are the parts used?

Comment

Myself, I had a Model 1 converted to something like a Model 2, except it had the maple board. That was the best guitar I ever owned. I have a MIJ promod that I love, but I think I prefer the M1 neck. Probably because I played it for over 20 years. But do get the SoCal by all means...they kick ass.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisf View Post
                  Thanks for the information... Looking forward to seeing your finished San Dimas. What made you want to build it? Are the parts used?
                  Yep used. It started with a flamey maple neck for $200. Then a white San Dima body for $150. I have the OFR, the pickups, but if you add it all up, it's much cheaper to buy the whole guitar with case for $600 rather than try to piece one together. I've given that Stratosphere dude on ebay a lot of coin for stupid little parts.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Yep used. It started with a flamey maple neck for $200. Then a white San Dima body for $150. I have the OFR, the pickups, but if you add it all up, it's much cheaper to buy the whole guitar with case for $600 rather than try to piece one together. I've given that Stratosphere dude on ebay a lot of coin for stupid little parts.
                    LOL, I had a similar experience when I put together my slime green sd1. Pickup rings, jackplate, knob of death, volume pot, etc. The list gets long after a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X