Thoughts on the Charvel Wild Card #7 Electric Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Charvel Wild Card #7 Electric Guitar

Interesting set of specs. Ebony board, 1 H & 1 sc SD's, primer paint, yellow accents & dots? Hmm...

There was a thread on it back in the day. Most of the hate was directed at the yellow. More the logo than the dots. If they put a stroke or a drop shadow on the logo I think it would be better, there's just not enough contrast between it and the gray primer. Plus it would work better to tie in the black from the ebony board and pickups/controls.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      There was a thread on it back in the day. Most of the hate was directed at the yellow. More the logo than the dots. If they put a stroke or a drop shadow on the logo I think it would be better, there's just not enough contrast between it and the gray primer. Plus it would work better to tie in the black from the ebony board and pickups/controls.
      +1. I'd snag one up if it were 2H. Just sand the fucker down and let Mike Learn have his way with it...

Oh and make it a 24 fret-er.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        +1. I'd snag one up if it were 2H. Just sand the fucker down and let Mike Learn have his way with it...

Oh and make it a 24 fret-er.
        ?

There are plenty of HH ProMod's out there. I like the fact that this one is H-S. The grey doesn't appeal to me. Neither does the yellow fret markers or logo. Like the ebony.

Comment

I want one and will pick up a used one when I see one at a reasonble price.

Comment

I dig it except for the yellow, especially the logo. Black would be he obvious choice but even primer white or red would be better. I like the nck single coil to get into regular strat territory.

Comment

A dealer nearby has one of these. The yellow logo I can live with, but not the dots. I'd get them swapped out with some abalone, which would look great against that ebony!

Comment

I have one, I really dig it but here are some things I have learned post purchase.

Why I wanted this #7 was mainly the H/S setup. However there are a couple of things that you should be aware of. This is common on all #7's not just mine.

The neck pick up is super weak compared to the JB. When you switch between the two pups the output differance is extremely noticeable.

The spacing of the poles on the neck pickup do not line up with the strings. The poles are wider than the strings and the 1st and 6th pole sit almost completely outside of the 1st and 6th strings. I don't think it really affects the sound but it does look off.

I planned on replacing both pickups anyway so the pup issues don't really bother me. I have a Duncan Custom in mine already and will probably use a Duncan Rail neck pup so the pole spacing wont be an issue looks or sound wise. I like a hotter neck pup output anyway.

The yellow dots and logo are not as striking or stand out as much in person as they do in the pics online. In fact the dots are a little hard to see in a dimly lit room or on stage.

To me MIJ necks are actually a little thinner in the center, feels like a slightly flattened C shape instead of the regular shape of my other 2 US Charvels. Not a bad thing at all but just a bit different. You may like it better.

I picked mine up on eBay and got it for $850 shipped from a dealer called musicpower. Mine was packed like it just left the warehouse and of course includes a great hardshell case, better than the crappy bags my US gtrs came with.

I love this guitar and would def recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  ?

There are plenty of HH ProMod's out there. I like the fact that this one is H-S. The grey doesn't appeal to me. Neither does the yellow fret markers or logo. Like the ebony.
                  Understand that. Just had never seen in this color/options. The yellow is nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Joe View Post
                    I have one, I really dig it but here are some things I have learned post purchase.

Why I wanted this #7 was mainly the H/S setup. However there are a couple of things that you should be aware of. This is common on all #7's not just mine.

The neck pick up is super weak compared to the JB. When you switch between the two pups the output differance is extremely noticeable.

The spacing of the poles on the neck pickup do not line up with the strings. The poles are wider than the strings and the 1st and 6th pole sit almost completely outside of the 1st and 6th strings. I don't think it really affects the sound but it does look off.

I planned on replacing both pickups anyway so the pup issues don't really bother me. I have a Duncan Custom in mine already and will probably use a Duncan Rail neck pup so the pole spacing wont be an issue looks or sound wise. I like a hotter neck pup output anyway.

The yellow dots and logo are not as striking or stand out as much in person as they do in the pics online. In fact the dots are a little hard to see in a dimly lit room or on stage.

To me MIJ necks are actually a little thinner in the center, feels like a slightly flattened C shape instead of the regular shape of my other 2 US Charvels. Not a bad thing at all but just a bit different. You may like it better.

I picked mine up on eBay and got it for $850 shipped from a dealer called musicpower. Mine was packed like it just left the warehouse and of course includes a great hardshell case, better than the crappy bags my US gtrs came with.

I love this guitar and would def recommend it.
                    I noticed the volume drop between the pickups on my Wild Card #6, so I switched it out for a Hot Rail. I will say that I hate that narrow single coil route. Even though the newer Duncan's are flangeless, it was still a bitch to get that Hot Rail in there. The cavity is way too tight and it is hard to fit it in there with where the pickup lead comes out. The other sucky thing they did was have springs for adjusting the height. It was a chore to get them lined up and in one place so you could put the screw in. Foam would have been a better choice.

Some day when I get motivated I will just route it out for a neck humbucker because the narrow route just looks off to me. The triangular route would have looked better.

Comment

I like it but Im not crazy about the recessed floyd. The colors dont bother me.

Comment

I own one, and really dig it. The ebony board is smooth as glass, and it plays killer. The fit and finish is excellent, just like my other MIJ models. I really like the single coil neck too, a split hum just doesn't give the same sound as a true single coil IMO. I think the primer looks badass contrasted with the yellow and black. My only gripes are with the finish. It's getting shiny in spots where my hand rests, just like a matte finish. That, and even though I like the colors, I would have preferred a more neutral color for the logo/dots in case I ever wanted to refinish the guitar. Not sure what other color I would actually like contrasted with the yellow. I kind of thought that was the whole idea with the primer :think:

Comment

I own one also. I didn't care for the stock pickups. I have mine set up in D full time and wanted to go in a little bit different direction with it than my other Charvels so I put a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a lil Screamin' Demon in the neck. Huge difference. I actually don't mind the recessed trem at all. I got mine from a noob that didn't like the trem or the pickup configuration. Snagged it for $650 with the case of course. I also have Wild Card #6 and #8.

Comment

Working...
                          X