Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 Model 6 SD Blackouts Dark - DiMarzio Set Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Model 6 SD Blackouts Dark - DiMarzio Set Recommendations?

Hi All - Replaced the originals and mid-boost with a full set of Blackouts about a year ago, but a recent DKMG purchase with replacement PUs (PAF Pro neck & Super Distortion in the bridge) got me thinking different. I'm pretty sure a Super 3 (DP152) is going in the bridge, so what in the mid and neck? I like lots of pinch stuff and whatnot, so let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance for any advice / recommendations / etc.

I

Don't understand - you are saying the blackouts are dark and you are going for a Super 3? Super 3 is sometimes considered dark too.

What to put in the middle and neck depends on what you like. Hot rails, lil59, HS-3, HS-2, SSL1, SSL5 - do you want humbucking or stratty? Hot or clean?

Comment

Sorry for my poor explanation, Don - yes, I'm finding the Blackouts a bit one-dimensional compared to the DiMarzio's in my DKMG. I'm looking for a hot PU that responds to changes in pick attack and has strong harmonics. It's not the end of the earth, because I seem to sit on the bridge PU 95% of the time. Just seems like I'm missing some tone opportunities and hoped someone might have tried other combinations with this guitar successfully.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Might want to try a JB for to wake it up. It's got a lot of highs and could be a good compliment for the Super D you already have.

To me, the Super D seems to be fairly bright with a good bottom even though the charts show otherwise. Got it in two guitars - an RG550 and a Peavey "Dave Murray" tribute.

I have Super 3's in two HM Strats (what they were originally designed for) and they sound great, but the HM Strat has the TBX control that lets you either kill the highs like a normal tone or kill the bass. Of course when you kill the bass it gives the impression that you are boosting the highs.

It's hard to say because bolt on vs. neck thru, different rigs, etc. What I like vs. what you like.

All I can say is that I do like the Super 3, but it has a lot of fatness, and I'm slightly afraid it may be similar to what you don't like about the blackouts.

Another possibility is an EMG81. I'd never call that fat.

Comment

Great info - thanks Don. Yes, my Super 3 experience was a HM Strat back in the day and I have fond memories of that guitar. But, like you said - different neck, different wood, different rig - it all plays a part in the final product. I'm going to think about the JB as that might be the answer. Thanks again!

Comment

I notice you are running a 5150 combo - I run a DSL100 1/2 stack - so we do have some differences there.

I have JB's in a few guitars. It sounds like the most awesome thing in the world in my ProMod Wildcard #4 Aqua (bolt on, rosewood fretboard).
            It sounds good in my SL2H Bengal which is very similar to the Model 6.
            In my 2 Model 6s, in one I'm running 100% stock, and in the other I run a J80C (little hotter than the stock J50BC).
            I guess I'm not too picky - I like them all.

But that ProMod just sounds amazing. Think Scorpions from the Love at First Sting album.

Comment

Oops. Please delete, Mod.
              Last edited by C#Standard; 06-21-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty fond of bright sounding guitars (rigs in general). In my Model 6, I have only a Volume and a switch and I tried a Distortion, Custom, and landed on a JB for the voicing and the rawness of it. But I love the Custom in my Ibanez RGT42DXFX (Maple with Mahogany wings). It sounds to me like you should try a JB as well.

About the 5150, my brother in law has the exact same one, and neither of us is particularly fond of how dark it was... Until we threw an EQ in the loop.. For the love of all that is decent and holy!! That woke it up!! Just another possible tone tweak that may help.
                Good luck man!
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for the info. This forum is awesome! I'm going to go with the JB and find me an EQ real quick like. Pics will follow.

Comment

Another VERY highly recommended effect for a 5150 is a 422a BBE Sonic Maximizer. If BillZ stops by, he'll add some colorful comments about this rig as well

Comment

I'd be very interested in what BillZ has to say about the 422a in the 5150 212 effect loop. Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

Working...
                      X