Help identify neck-thru MIJ Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify neck-thru MIJ Charvel

I purchased this neck-thru Charvel on Ebay and I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what model it is. It appears to be a Dinky body, but it has a 24 fret neck. It has a humbucker at the bridge, a slanted single coil at the neck, a 3-way switch and a volume knob. The serial number is: C801308

Is this a Charvel Model 5FX? If so, what is an approximate value?

Comment

Yep... it's a 5FX.
      Price... $400-$500
      -Rick

Comment

5FX. I agree on the price given.

I have one in firecrackle. I know your just going to sell it, but can you tell us how the neck feels? Does the neck seem fuller than say a Model 6, Model 4 or Ibanez or Fusion or other thin necks (assuming you've had some of these to compare against)?

My Model 5FX and 550XL are both very similar and the necks are fatter than my Model 6's, Fusions, Model 4 and just about any other Jackson I own. Just curious if this is across the board.
        Last edited by DonP; 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          My Model 5FX and 550XL are both very similar and the necks are fatter than my Model 6's, Fusions, Model 4 and just about any other Jackson I own. Just curious if this is accross the board.
          The Model 5A I used to have, had the same neck shape as my old Model 6, which is similar to my Carvin SC90 and Dean Dave Mustaine V... D-shape speed neck profile, not too thin or thick. I do remember hearing that the neck-thru Model series did have at least two different profiles, though.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            The Model 5A I used to have, had the same neck shape as my old Model 6, which is similar to my Carvin SC90 and Dean Dave Mustaine V... D-shape speed neck profile, not too thin or thick. I do remember hearing that the neck-thru Model series did have at least two different profiles, though.
            My 1988 5A's neck is very similar to the Model 6 as well.
            Very comfortable to play.
            -Rick

Comment

Yes, it is very comfortable. Probably the thinnest profile I like, which is also similar to the reissue USA Charvel pointy line that came back around '04 or '05. I don't really care for the thinner Dinky neck profiles.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No

No, actually I have no intentions of selling it. I actually overpaid for it a bit. I now have 12 Charvels and this is the only neck-thru model I own. The neck is actually beautiful, it's one of the best necks / fretboards I have. I need to tinker a bit with the pickup and figure out if the output is high enough for me. I usually play through a solid state Ampeg SS150 amp, so even an acoustic is high output enough, but when I'm in the house, I play through a small crate amp. I've only had this a few days, but so far I love it. But I did buy it more for collecting that playing. I recently purchased a Jackson SL2H trans green which is impossible to put down, so I guess this one will get a lot of time in it's case.

Comment

Well shit. I like thin shredder necks. I'd say these two "exceptions" are like a Gibson USA 50's. Not horrible, but I prefer thinner.

Comment

its case
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      its case
                      Exactly my point.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X