Japanese 2010 so cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese 2010 so cal

Hi I'm new here but not new to Jackson/charvel. My question is I'm having problems with my 3 way swit h. The bridge pickup position is either bad or has short. The sound doesn't go out completely but it sounds like only one coil playing. I've tried cleaning a resoldering the connections but no go. Does any know what brand switch this or is there a more superior replacement. It's driving me nuts cause I like this guitar better than my 2009 San dImas

It may be the wiring, and not the switch, or possibly the pup itself. Has the volume pot been switched to a push/pull type to split the coils? I'm not familiar with Dimarzios, assuming that's what you have, but you should be sounding larger than life with that.

Comment

Switchcraft makes the best switches.

Comment

Why do you blame the switch?
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

If it's a 4 conductor Duncan make sure the red and white wires are properly connected and not shorting to ground. Either would cause the pickup to behave as a single coil.

DiMarzios would be similar situation but different wire colors that I don't have memorized. IIRC white/black, but double check before because I'm probably wrong there...
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Fatalvision2 View Post
            Hi I'm new here but not new to Jackson/charvel. My question is I'm having problems with my 3 way swit h. The bridge pickup position is either bad or has short. The sound doesn't go out completely but it sounds like only one coil playing. I've tried cleaning a resoldering the connections but no go. Does any know what brand switch this or is there a more superior replacement. It's driving me nuts cause I like this guitar better than my 2009 San dImas
            I should have read this better, but stupid iPhone.

Your issue (being in a humid area) is the switch contacts. When exposed to the air, they corrode.

Solution: Clean the contact area, and leave the switch in the MIDDLE position when not played. You are trying to keep the air from contacting the contact area of the switch.

Best solution: Get the contacts of the switch gold plated.

Comment

i blame the switch because you can move the switch not so much to a different postion but moving around will bring it back. the only mod is installing a evh volume but this problem was before that. the switch looks really clean like new no signs of corrosion. the bridge is a Dimarzio Tone Zone a Evo in the neck. I wish they were both EVOs. All help and suggestions are appreciated.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, moving it all around is cleaning the contact area. The corrosion happens when the guitar is not used. The more you use it the less it happens.

Comment

no moving or wiggling the switch in the bridge position causes the sound to come in and out

Comment

i may have figured it out. this is the pickguard version and when the switch goes in its kinda wedged in there i moved it around to where it goes in more freely and that seems to be working

Comment

Working...
                    X