375 deluxe or fusion custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 375 deluxe or fusion custom?

hey guys, great site and this is my first post here but you've all helped me in my research.

the last charvel i owned was a model 88 which i sold in 1989 while in college. i am looking to get back into the brand for many reasons. pretty much decided not to chase down an 88. that being said i am pissed at myself for not buying that model 88 that sat on ebay for the entire month of april and finally sold for 425 with a case......anyway.

here is my question, i've found two that i am considering but since they are not local to me, i can't get my grubby hands on them beforehand.

one is a 375 deluxe in this sort of neon red type color the other is a fusion custom in candy red.

the 375 is a private seller and if i buy it and don't like it, i have to resell it, the fusion is at a guitar store and they will let me return it if i don't like it.

i like the color of the 375, typically i am a 24 fret guy but since i don't have any 22 fret guitars it makes me interested.

on the fusion i like that the headstock matches the body but i might just be a tad concerned about fret spacing from 12-24 eventhough my hands aren't large, not a big dude 5'8.

both come with the bars, niether comes with case or gig bag.

they are both right around the 300 dollar mark.

i've done a good amount of research on these guitars and know the feature differences but would like to solicit opinons from those that have owned one or both of these models.

thanks in advance guys.

There is no quality difference between the two models, and you really can't go wrong with either. It's all about the spec differences. It seems like the Fusion would be the easier one to try out and see if you get along with the scale length, since it's at a store. Either play it as much as possible there (if they'll let you) or buy it and return it if you can't bond with it. I have relatively large hands, and I never had any trouble with short-scale 24 fretters, but ymmv.

Comment

thanks for the reply. i am thinking fusion, it's the headstock and the less kitchy(sp?) color and the return policy. so let me ask this, since i can't put my hands on one, what do these things generally weigh and would the fusion be generally heavier or lighter than a 375?

thanks guys, think i am pretty much there.

i'll post pics when it comes together.

Comment

well, somewhere along the line, after i purchased the fusion, i decided to put a bid in on the 375. nobody else bid so i won the auction. they'll both be here real soon and i am excited to get into them. i honestly don't think i have picked up a charvel since 89-90, that's just wierd. anyway, thanks for the great forum, i'll post up when they get here.
        Last edited by bll; 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the 2 new guitars. I recently was lucky and got a Pro Mod San Dimas and a late '88 Model 4 within a month of each other, and for bargains aswell. I also own a 375 Deluxe (also a bargain) and I can tell you that you'll love the guitar, the playabilty and feel of the guitar are amazing. The neck is super thin, not to different from the Model 4 and I'm guessing that they'll have the same neck profile as you're Model '88. Let me know how the fusion plays. I wonder what the neck profile would be like on it.
          2002 Classical Acoustic
          2003 Cruiser by Crafter Strat
          2003 B.C. Rich Mockingbird "Firebreather" L.E.
          2005 Jackson DKMG
          2003 Fender Stratocaster Candy Apple Red Satin L.E.
          2008 Ibanez JS100
          2009 B.C. Rick KKV
          2009 Ibanez RG350MYE L.E.
          2005 Jackson RR3 Crimson Swirl
          1989 Charvel 375 DLX
          2010 Jackson JS30KV
          2010 Fender JR Telecaster
          2003 Fender Jag-Stang
          2010 Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod
          1988 Charvel Model 4
          2007 Jackson RR24
          2012 Jackson SDX Adrian Smith
          sigpic

Comment

the 375 came in today and i must say "nice guitar." i am impressed overall, the only rub is this thing is well....red. based on the description of the color i was hoping for something "different." up close it is beautiful, it is this sparkly watermelon color. from 3 feet away, it's red. getting past the color to the condition, it is pretty much unplayed, the frets are monstrous and have just a little wear.

the fusion will be here tomorrow and i expect that one to be red.

Comment

LOL.
              Lots of fish in the sea.

The Model Series are still undervalued IMO.
              Look around and play the field.
              Be cautious of the M88's though.
              I found out some are dead sounding.

I have one that sounds/plays great but no, it is not for sale.

Comment

fusion came in today. it too is in great shape with low hours but whoever played it was nasty! the crap i got out of the tremolo was just gross.

any tips on what to soak the tremolo in to get the string retainer blocks unstuck? right now i just have some pb blaster sprayed into the .....whatever the hell they are called, it's the little locking blocks that hold the strings in to the tremolo unit.

Comment

PB works great.

Comment

PB blaster works really good. I have done some crazy stuff with PB blaster. The only problem it smells terrible. I would disassemble the trem and soak it in it over night and use an old toothbrush and scrub it out.
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

got them both back together and spent some time playing each. didn't take long to realize the fusion is dead so back to guitar center for her.

the 375, on the other hand, is very vibrant and resonant, i am happy with it, she stays.

Comment

I dig Fusions. Never an issue.

Comment

yea they are great guitars, this one is dead when you compare it to my others.

Comment

Working...
                          X