Charvel Model 3 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 3 Project

I've been working on building a Partscaster type project. I'm using an old Charvel Model 3 body with a Japanese Pro-Mod neck. When I bought the body, it was in pretty rough shape, but that's what I want, something cheap and workable. The orange paint was not there when I bought it, just testing a color...probably should have just used scrap wood...duh!

Someone had previously gouged out some of the wood in the trem route for what I presume was a trem block too short for this body, so instead of buying a longer block they chiseled out some wood to allow the springs to be angled between the claw and the block. BTW...I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know exactly which length block should be used with a Model 3 and an OFR that I plan to put in this. Thanks...

Here it is after body work and primer. Filled both single routes, blade switch and original volume hole. Going to use the tone hole for a volume only setup.

I tried to fill the chipped out part in the trem cavity, although I didn't dwell on it being perfect. Not a big issue with me.

Here it is getting its first shots of color. This is where it is as of right now, so updates to follow...

My Charvel/Jackson Family

Love it. Are you going with a diagonal stripe?

Comment

Yes I am, six green stripes on purple...I let my daughter come up with the concept. If it doesn't work, oh well, sand her down and try again...lol.

Comment

LOL, When they were younger, I let my daughters paint a couple of beaters for me (rattle cans and model paint). Both looked like a princess puked on them. All pink, lime green and purple with some puppies, hearts and kittens drawn on them. Just awful but they had a great time. I look forward to seeing yours done!

Comment

Cool! I'll be watching this one...

Comment

42mm.

Might have been easier just starting with a Model 2, but what fun is that?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              42mm.

Might have been easier just starting with a Model 2, but what fun is that?
              Exactly!! I still would have wanted to move the volume pot, and I got the body cheap, but yeah it would have been easier.

....and thanks for the info!
              Last edited by BayRocker; 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Nice... what kind of paint are you using?

Comment

Yeah 42 MM block is what you need.
                  Looks killer so far.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Looking good! I'm a sucker for a single hum/single volume strat'ish git. Looks like a fun project.

Comment

I love project threads! Looks good so far Have you decided what pickup are you gonna put in it?
                      Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

nice. looking forward for more pics of the progress.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Ok, well, it's been just over 7 years since the last update to this thread. I've changed paint schemes a couple times, and that has really delayed my finishing of this project. I originally bought this Model 3 body off of member Rich#6. After the green paint idea, I had seen a pretty nice striped swirled Charvel. Decided I'd give it a whirl....fail. Paint just on the first green swirls was just too high to ever get level. Pics...

So it sat like that for years. General frustration of the failed paint job, other projects and just life in general got in the way of it getting done. But, I retired recently, and realized I had all the parts needed to complete this project. So I decided to simplify the paint in order to get this guitar into a player. Went with a metal flake blue, it's a subtle flake. Pickup ring is a brushed metal black, and the cavity covers are metal, mirror polished...all from Dave at FretsOnTheNet. Single humbucker is a DiMarzio Super Distortion. CTS 500k pot, and a Pure Tone full contact output jack. Anyway...after first purchasing the body in January 2011, it's finally complete. Plays great, the Japanese neck with the rolled edges is just perfect. I love the simplicity of this thing!

Here are some progress shots...

The final result, and a shot of it with the rest of my Charvels. Left to right, Model 2b bass, USA Slime Green San Dimas, Model 4, Model 3 frankenbuild, 750xl, Model 6.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X