Desolation DS-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desolation DS-1

Picked mine up today and what a killer guitar for the money!
    DS -1 is the neck thru version and DS-2 is set neck.
    Light and very resonant vibrates like crazy all the way down the neck.The Duncan black outs sound really open and clear crank the gain and they get tight and punchy.Great match for this guitar.
    Only beef the vol and tones are opposite of a L.P. so will switch the pot locations later.Charvel website says locking tuners on the DS-1 but mine has std non locking Grovers.Stays in tune so not a huge issue maybe Charvel will send me some if I raise hell about it.Be nice to have them on this guitar.
    3 Way switch is solid feeling with no noise at all vol and tone controls very smooth.Soldering was done very well for a MIC guitar.
    Shielded control cavity and backing plate a nice touch too.
    The veneer top in nice with decent flame the matching veneer on the headstock looks great as well.Inlays/binding are done well too.
    Pics to come later.
    If you have been thinking about one do check them out.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Killer axe hands down. Now if you take what it costs into account, it gets even sweeter...
    Congrats on yours, i know i love mine!
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

For $600.00 its a great deal.
      Here are some indoor pics will take some outdoor pics when I can.
      The 3 piece neck is very smooth and comfy not 60's Gibson size by any stretch more like a soloist.
      The web site says jumbo frets but IMO more like medium which is fine because its a 24 fret short scale, upper fret access is effortless.

Last edited by straycat; 02-14-2012, 02:30 AM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

the neck looks very nice, nice one!

Comment

That's NICE! Love the Blue Smear finish with matching headstock!

Comment

Thanks for the close-up pics, that does look good. My experience with MIC from other brands has not been great, but maybe Charvel can change that perception.

Comment

not a big les paul fan at all but that actually looks sweet....think I wanna play one..
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by canadian bacon View Post
                Thanks for the close-up pics, that does look good. My experience with MIC from other brands has not been great, but maybe Charvel can change that perception.
                Yeah that worries me man....I ordered the FRM100 (the new Paul Gilbert Sig), then realized it was MIC and canceled the order the next day.....I 've been told they are making some good stuff but the FRM100 was 1000 bucks...for a sig? MIC? I dunno man..

Hope charvel gets it with this!! cause it looks sweet...

Comment

I'd be willing to bet 80% of new guitars being made in the last year are MIC. We are in a world economy now and those little commies are the worlds factory.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    I'd be willing to bet 80% of new guitars being made in the last year are MIC. We are in a world economy now and those little commies are the worlds factory.
                    Then they better start makin good fukin guitars

Comment

My point was that it looks like the commies ARE starting to make some nice stuff. My first Charvel was made in Japan and while it was a nice instrument MIJ was something to be a little ashamed of at the time. It took years of quality guitars from several manufacturers for that same MIJ Charvel to go from "import" to "MADE IN JAPAN"!

And now we mourn the possible end of certain Japan-era Jacksons.

Comment

I remembered being ashamed when I bought a RG570 in 1989. MIJ as well. Now its the love of my life. I see your point but have seen some HORRIBLE MIC stuff....I hope it gets better...It sounds like this Charvel is the real deal....

Comment

I don't know why anybody would have ever been ashamed of their MIJ J/C. anyone who has ever play my model 6 has loved it and many have tried to buy it off me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                            I don't know why anybody would have ever been ashamed of their MIJ J/C. anyone who has ever play my model 6 has loved it and many have tried to buy it off me.
                            It was just a stigma that Japan had at the time. At least, thats how I remember it. I think China has it now. I have no doubt at all the DS-1 is awesome as well as your model 6.

Comment

Side story: In high school I had a Toyota 4x4 pickup. I heard all of the redneck comments....Jap crap....rice burner.....you name it. About 6 years after I graduated high school, Toyota opens a plant about 30 miles from here. Move forward to the ten year class reunion: some of those same people now work at that plant and they think Toyota is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Move forward to today: I still own that same truck...have owned it for 21 years. Those same hypocrites still work at Toyota AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                              X