Charvel 550xl or a Jackson sl3 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 550xl or a Jackson sl3 ???

New guitar day coming within a week. These are my top two choices I'm looking into. Which guitar would be better?

Just want your guys opinion.

Thanks
    I love guitars, Always have and always will.

Charvel 550XL... but I'm biased towards the first Japanese imports.
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Try both in person if possible. I have a 550XL 99.9% stock, and it's pretty kick - ass. Very cool tone. The only mod was the neck pickup is in parallel instead of series to lower the power and increase clarity (bought it used this way). My 550XL has sort of a fat neck. I'd describe it as a Gibson 50s style, where my other early Charvels (two M6's, M4, Fusions...) all have thin necks. But the neck is still very playable and has a 'fun' factor with the way the action is set slightly high.

I also am biased to the earlier ones as well. I believe the low end guitars got better wood back then. Today, the good wood "seems" to be used only in the higher end stuff.

Comment

550 xl all the way...quality tends to be better
        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Leaning towards the 550xl minty guitar, plus it's local. I dunno if 500 for it is a good deal without the case. I have pics of the 550xl in a earlier thread here

Comment

Originally posted by Nezgual View Post
            Leaning towards the 550xl minty guitar, plus it's local. I dunno if 500 for it is a good deal without the case. I have pics of the 550xl in a earlier thread here
            Have you read this?
            http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/126...at-a-pawn-shop

Once again, I strongly suggest you try before you buy. What if you don't like the neck?

Comment

Ya, I've been reading it has a thicker neck. But for 500 might not be a bad deal. Especially the condition it is in.

Comment

question,I once owned a 650XL and it was a killer player...are the necks the same on the 550 and 650 or is it like the 80's model 5 vs model 6...model 6 being a much slimmer faster neck.
                www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Originally posted by magh8 View Post
                  question,I once owned a 650XL and it was a killer player...are the necks the same on the 550 and 650 or is it like the 80's model 5 vs model 6...model 6 being a much slimmer faster neck.
                  I don't have a 650XL to compare to.

Comment

Went and checked out the 550xl and she came home with me. Cleaned her up. Plays great.

Comment

Congratulations, I'm glad you made the right choice...

Toothpaste Charvels FTW... yeah you heard me Ron FOR THE WIN!!!
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Pics?

Comment

Sixer, got a couple pics up from an earlier thread

Comment

Thanks Nimitz, it's a kick ass guitar. Only thing is that it has a dimebucker in it. Not the j90c oversized humbucker.

Comment

Working...
                            X