Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas import. One of the most comfortable necks I have ever played. Plays great. The neck does feel somewhat sticky. I was thinking of sanding it down a bit with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Has anyone tried this on their Charvel. I have the kit and have done it once on my Strat with success.

Just use some steel wool to take off the tacky stuff. I've done this to both of mine and it works great.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

A blue shop towel with lacquer thinner, (don't soak the rag) will take that right off. I've done this to at least 5 of those necks already.

Comment

Sup cableguy, and welcome, former cable tech myself. I'm surprised that you found the neck on yours sticky. I've got one of the Jap promods too and I thought the necks on those were unfinished...or oiled, at best? I have a tele that had heavy lacquer all over the neck and that was like flypaper to me. I don't know if it wore off or I just got used to it but it doesn't feel that way anymore.

The neck on my Charvel feels nothing like that though. It may be a little tinted but feels like bare wood. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the promod, they kick ass!

Comment

Some of the newer MIJ ProMod necks are as if they just applied the oil and left it to dry without knocking it down after. It's mainly concentrated on the fretboard, but I have seen it on the back also. I tried steel wooling it, but it just hung up on the heavy spots and was a complete pain in the ass. Lacquer thinner removes it so easy without even rubbing very hard and doesn't hurt the neck at all. You can steel wool the back after that and it's super smooth.

Comment

Working...
            X