Played a Desolation yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a Desolation yesterday!

I'm eating my words on these because when I first saw them I was confused and disappointed with the styling. My local dealer got some of them in though and I think that they look alot better in person than they do in the pics. Plus, they have one of the BEST feeling necks I've ever played! I was extremely impressed with them all the way around and just couldn't get over the quality for the price! The one I was stuck on was the single cut model that sells for $399. I'm actually trying to figure out what I can unload to go get it! HA HA! They still don't look like what I think a Charvel should look like but... I give them kudos for getting "out of the box" and trying something different. It just takes us guys that are used to the superstrat style guitars some getting used to. I had to kinda walk around and warm up to them! HA HA! I think that Charvel really knocked it out of the ball park with these guitars! If you haven't gotten to play one yet then don't pass up the opportunity if it arises. I almost walked out of the store without playing them but my buddy that works there was very insistent and I'm glad he was.

Good to hear. Wish someone around me would get them in so I can see what all the fuss is about, LOL!

Comment

I'm jonesing for one bad!

Comment

Which model did you play?

Comment

It was the single cutaway 2. It's the one that sales for $399.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Comment

Got my dealer to have two blue smear delivered on Tuesday for me to look at.
            A DS 1 and DS 2.Can't wait.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Played a couple of Stars at NAMM, the necks where a bit thick for me, but yeah - nice guitars!
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I've had a transparent red DS-2 for a while now, and I gotta say it really is a kickass guitar....no matter where it is made...the only wish I have about it is that it was made here in the US and still at this price point. I still don't see why it can't be done.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                  ....no matter where it is made...the only wish I have about it is that it was made here in the US and still at this price point. I still don't see why it can't be done.
                  ...Just because Chinese workers are paid $2 per week ...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                    Played a couple of Stars at NAMM, the necks where a bit thick for me, but yeah - nice guitars!
                    Sounds like the Stars might have a different style neck on them. The guitar I played had a pretty small neck IMO. Definately not what I'd consider a "baseball" style neck to be. I was wondering if the Star and Soloist would have the same neck profile as these first run guitars. Still trying to figure out how to get one!

Comment

Not everything made in China is junk.

Comment

I played them at NAMM recently and I have to agree that they are quite good. I also want one of the $399 DS-2 single cut guitars. I thought the flat black looked pretty cool in person but so did the blue smear.
                        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Nice post! DS2's rock!!! I'm admittedly biased... but I truly feel there isn't a better buy out there. You will notice that we paid a lot of attention to the necks on all the desolation guitars. I saw in one of the posts that the Stars and Soloists feel a little thicker.. I noticed that as well... Measurements didn't reveal any noticeable difference, it has more to do with the neck "profile". It gives the feeling of a thicker neck. I have spent some time with them and I think the necks have there own character... they are based off of my old Soloist. The DNA is unmistakable.

The electronics in the DS2 and DC2's are our own pickup. They are active but I really dig the voice. They have a "boosted organic" feel to them. IMHO. (again, I'm biased...you should hear me talk about my kids!!)

Comment

You make the pick ups in house?
                            DS 1 is neck thru and DS2 is set neck is that right?
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

DS, DC, SK, DST and DX 1 = Neck Thru 2 = Set Neck and 3 = Bolt On.
                              The "Charvel" branded pickups are ours.

Comment

Working...
                              X