Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Charvel Fusion Deluxe (I think)

Very quickly, because I am at work:

I snagged this off ebay in Germany last week for 300 Euros (I think that's okay) and it turned up in my home town in Austria a few hours ago. I've not plugged it in to anything and it needs set up because the strings have been loosened off and the trem is sitting on the body in the cavity. I'm putting 11s on it and going to D anyway.

The serial number is 336079 and as far as I can tell it's a Fusion Deluxe from 89 - 91. I don't think the bridge pickup is original as the plastic cover is not there.

If anyone can give me a few pointers on how to confirm the year and if the pickup is original that would be cool.

I'm very pleased to get this. I love 24.75 scale length and also, this is going to reduce some of the 1st World Angst I am having about the possibility of not being able to pick up a Pro Mod later this years when everyone snags on once the news that the Japanese factory and production line is in fact dead

Yes, it's a Fusion Deluxe.

Comment

Originally posted by elrrek View Post
      Very quickly, because I am at work:
      This is your BOSS and you are Fired!

I snagged this off ebay in Germany last week for 300 Euros (I think that's okay)
      I paid $195 for mine +$30 shipping quite a few years back; it's just blue, but closet queen shape. Fret have little wear, case is mint.
      and it turned up in my home town in Austria a few hours ago. I've not plugged it in to anything and it needs set up because the strings have been loosened off and the trem is sitting on the body in the cavity. I'm putting 11s on it and going to D anyway.
      You might have picked the wrong guitar for that. Short scale guitars would not be my first choice for detuning. They tend to get muddy when you tune low. But these rules aren't written in stone so try it and see.

The serial number is 336079 and as far as I can tell it's a Fusion Deluxe from 89 - 91. I don't think the bridge pickup is original as the plastic cover is not there.
      Wrong again. Mine is a closet queen untouched and doesn't have a cover. Can't help you on the year, but my serial number is 368694 if the serial number police happen by.

If anyone can give me a few pointers on how to confirm the year and if the pickup is original that would be cool.
      Look at the pickup inside of the ring. If the ring looks way too large for the pickup, you "might" have an issue (people yank the covers off sometimes). It sure looks like the right pickup to me, as well as the neck pickup. Pull the pickup and look at the back. It should be a J-90C. I love the "covered" J-90C I have in a Charvel 550XL, but I've never really liked it in this guitar. Too bright an high end. This may work out for you with the larger strings and lower tuning. In fact, I may just decide to de-tune mine as well LOL!

I'm very pleased to get this. I love 24.75 scale length and also, this is going to reduce some of the 1st World Angst I am having about the possibility of not being able to pick up a Pro Mod later this years when everyone snags on once the news that the Japanese factory and production line is in fact dead
      The Pro Mod would have been a better choice for de-tuning because of the longer scale, but nothing is set in stone. Try it out, it may work out great.

Comment

Thanks DonP, but damn you guys have got way more harsh since I hung around here in earlier times :P

$195 +$30 for shipping a few years back - this is why living in Europe sucks!

De-tuning it is not going to be an issue I think. I've got a JJ4 at C with 13-56s and it's fine. I've had a Fusion Professional at dropped A# as well with the same string gauge so I can't see this axe being a problem either, 11s might be a little light though.

As for a Pro Mod ... I've got to resist the urge to snag one now, otherwise that's 4 guitars bought in 2 months ... that's just wrong,

Comment

I've got one just like it. You are gonna love it. I think the Charvel Fusion is one of the best guitars ever.
          Here's a pic of mine.
          Matt

Fender,Charvel and Jackson Guitars..........What more do you need

Comment

Hello fellow-countryman !

Nice score ! The price is OK for our part of the world; I watched that auction, too, but passed up on it. I think it's a '89 (low s/n 33****)
            I already have one in pink (after the H/H conversion):

uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

@ matt_gu3: deja-vu!
              @ Franx: whoah, pink! Is that the original colour? And what's that in the bridge, a X2N or a J85?

Got it back to my place last night and pluged it in. The electrics all work but the trem is still "settling" so the tuning is a bit wobbly. It being bloody freezing here at the moment it's probably going to take a while to recover from the journey through the post.

I think it's going to need a general set-up though as while the action is lovely, everything between the 17th and the 20th fret plays but has zero sustain and you can hear the strings bouncing off the higher frets.

The frets are actually in really good condition which is nice for a 20 year old guitar and seeing Schaller stamped on the bridge is cool.

Comment

I got this back from the set-up man (I should really learn how to deal with a Floyd) with 12-52 in D standard

It's nice. The neck feels really cool, I love how the Dinky body feels against you and the trem is a total revelation to me.

I have had various Jackson Performers, Concepts, a Jackson Fusion STD and a bunch of lower end Ibanez guitars with floating trems and none of them were as good as this Schaller, it just feels solid and keeps it's tuning better than anything else I have ever had. The neck pick-up is a bit weak but that's not what I bought this guitar for so it's not a big deal.

Comment

nice. Damn I want a fusion so bad

Comment

My Fusion Special was a pawn shop gift from my wife about 15 years ago. It usually stays home but this winter I decided to take it out to shows. In the bridge is a Duncan SH-8 Invader I bought new in 87'. It's a fast and ferocious ride. I hate the "Charvel" stamped Shaller trem. JT6 or whatever model it is. The long locking allen bolts are crooked because the saddles have play side to side. I think it's a recycled trem.

Correction: This guy's guitar is same model and color as mine except different humb. According to this post the trem is a JT580. Well mine is junk BUT it stays in tune.
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/126...fusion+special
                    Last edited by catzodellamarina; 02-15-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

^^^^ Thats my other Fusion. It plays almost as nice as the dlx model. The trem on my spcl is rock solid. I love how the trems on both my fusions have such a great flutter. I think the shorter scale length helps create that softer feeling trem.
                      Matt

Fender,Charvel and Jackson Guitars..........What more do you need

Comment

Working...
                      X