Charvel model 6 or ESP M-II Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model 6 or ESP M-II Deluxe

Hi! I can't decide which of these guitars I should buy. A Charvel Model 6 1986 with Kahler trem in mint condition, not a single scratch or a ESP M-II Deluxe 1997 with original floyd and EMG's.

I currently have a Les Paul style guitar and I find it uncomfortable to play notes on the higher frets because of the neck heel, since the Charvel is a neck thru guitar it wont have that heel by the neck joint.

Originally posted by SimonEriksson View Post
    Hi! I can't decide which of these guitars I should buy. A Charvel Model 6 1986 with Kahler trem in mint condition, not a single scratch or a ESP M-II Deluxe 1997 with original floyd and EMG's.

I currently have a Les Paul style guitar and I find it uncomfortable to play notes on the higher frets because of the neck heel, since the Charvel is a neck thru guitar it wont have that heel by the neck joint.
    But what is the M-II Deluxe? A Bolt on? And just going by older is better, the M-6 is a 1986. Better wood back then. The Kahler might throw you off but you could replace it with a fixed Kahler ala Mustaine.

I have a 1988 M-6 and I love the playability of the non-recessed JT-6. Not sure how a Kahler would feel but I'd love to get one. Doesn't the guy (brainfarting on his name-on the tip of my tongue...Heanman?) in Slayer use Kahler's?

The only thing with Model 6's is that the price has spiked up crazy high lately. I am used to them being $300 - $350 from around 2005-6. Now they are triple to quad that. I got lucky with my black one and scored it for $390 shipped a year or so ago. It was a basket case I had to put back together, but there is no body or finish damage, just wiring and hardware.
    Last edited by DonP; 01-01-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Yup he does! I've tried a Kahler before and I like it. The ESP is a bolt on, and it's 200$ more than the Charvel.

Comment

Oh hands down the Model 6 then. Now if the ESP was a Custom neck thru, that would be harder. I paid $750 for a 1988 Horizon but it's a flat out bad ass guitar. I have an M-1 as well from 1990 so I'm not an ESP basher, but I just love there older stuff much better.

Comment

I had a MII Deluxe and it was a decent axe. It needed a lot of restoration work, but turned out to be a nice player in the end. Make sure it's really an OFR, as some of those from the 90's had a Kahler licensed fulcrum trem. Those are really not bad trems at all except for the locking nuts. All that being said, if you like the Kahler cam type trems: go for the M6.

Comment

I don't think that I'm going to go crazy on the whammy bar. I don't have to much money right now and I need a new guitar because I'm in the middle of recording an album with my band so if the Charvel is a better guitar for less money there is no question about it, I'm going to buy it.

However I wan't the best for my money and to me both guitars are expensive and the Charvel is about 700$. I live in Sweden so all bigger brands are abit more expenisve here.

Comment

I've noticed that the Charves body is made of Poplar and the ESP is alder, is poplar a good material for guitar bodys? I am going to play alot of solos and higher notes with this guitar and I know that alder is a good type of wood for guitars, never reakky heard of poplar before though.

Comment

Poplar is a great wood lots of USA Jacksons are poplar.I would snag the Model 6.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Poplar and Alder are similar from what I've heard. Many companies switch back and forth between the two.

Comment

If im not mistaken,the model 6 has poplar wings. The center is maple.

Comment

Working...
                    X