Model 4 with Pro Mod neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 with Pro Mod neck

Got a mint Charvel Pro Mod neck and want to slap it on either an old '87 Model 4 or an '08 San Dimas style 1. Was wondering if there is any difference in the neck pocket angle between the Model 4s and the modern USA Charvels?

This is a photoshopped example with headstock paint sanded off. Opinions are welcome.....

Charvel San Dimas, So Cal, WDM Swords, M4, 650XL
    Clapton Fool SG, Fender Special Strat, EJ Strat, Baja Tele
    Gibson R8 LP, Edwards 125/ALS LP, 98/LTC LP, Dean Z79
    EBMM Axis, Axis SS, Luke III, Silo, Epi ES-339
    EVH Bumblebee, Kramer 5150, Fractal Audio AX8

I'm currently building a Model 3 body with a 2011 import Pro-Mod neck. Works and fits perfectly.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Hi BayRocker

Thanks for that quick info, good luck with your build.

BTW, what pickups are you using in the Model 3 and what music style will you use it for?

Comment

Haven't decided on the pickup yet. I'm filling in the two single routes. It's gonna be a single hum, volume knob only build. I test built it with an OFR, and without electronics before breaking it down for finishing. I play hard rock to classic metal stuff usually in standard tuning. I'm taking it real slow, since I don't have much time and I'm in the middle of a Kelly build as well.
        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I did just the opposite and put a model 4 neck on a usa promod body. It fit perfectly no gaps, or angle problems. Ive since changed to a jap pro mod neck and it fit perfectly as well. I think you will be fine.

Comment

I just did the opposite too - put a Model 7 neck on a Slime Green USA body, fit perfectly and the reverse pointy headstock looks sweeeeet!

Comment

I've read a few people on here saying that it really depends. They've tried putting a promod neck on a different pro mod body and it didn't fit but fit vise versa. I think its just a chance kinda thing that it wont but should 90% of the time
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by sandmannn69 View Post
                Got a mint Charvel Pro Mod neck and want to slap it on either an old '87 Model 4 or an '08 San Dimas style 1. Was wondering if there is any difference in the neck pocket angle between the Model 4s and the modern USA Charvels?

This is a photoshopped example with headstock paint sanded off. Opinions are welcome.....

I just realized that neck came off a body that has a recessed floyd, so will probably have to shim it to get the right tilt angle on both the San Dimas or the Model 4, which have the non-recessed bridges (not a big deal, I guess).

Comment

The necks are the same, it's the neck pockets that are angled with non recessed trems. you probably won't need to shim the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    The necks are the same, it's the neck pockets that are angled with non recessed trems. you probably won't need to shim the neck.
                    What he said.

Comment

Well, the neck fit perfectly. Plays perfectly, just like my San Dimas neck, except a little quicker due to the ebony board.
                      Just need to pop it off and tighten the rod a bit. If it were for the rod adjustment in the heel, these Charvel necks would be absolute perfection. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

Now I just need to decide on what to do with that gray primer headstock. The maple on these Japanese necks is more yellow than the USA necks, so just sanding off the gray primer for a natural headstock probably wouldn't look that great. Definitely not going to paint it Electric blue like the body, too Ernie-Ballish. Anybody have any cool ideas....?

Comment

Originally posted by sandmannn69 View Post
                        Well, the neck fit perfectly. Plays perfectly, just like my San Dimas neck, except a little quicker due to the ebony board.
                        Just need to pop it off and tighten the rod a bit. If it were for the rod adjustment in the heel, these Charvel necks would be absolute perfection. Oh well, nothing's perfect.

Now I just need to decide on what to do with that gray primer headstock. The maple on these Japanese necks is more yellow than the USA necks, so just sanding off the gray primer for a natural headstock probably wouldn't look that great. Definitely not going to paint it Electric blue like the body, too Ernie-Ballish. Anybody have any cool ideas....?

That looks so sweet. So sweet that I've just ordered a maple pro mod neck for my white model 4.

I think you'd get away with coloring coding the headstock, after all, weren't charvel colour coding the headstocks way back when they started. I think it'd look great with a gloss black headstock like the original neck, it's got black hardware so i think it'd look great

Comment

It actually turned out looking real good! Remove all the paint and satin finish on the neck and refinish it with some tung oil or something.

Comment

I decided to put a ferrari red pro mod body off a so cal on the neck, sanded off the headstock paint. Need the so cal body for a pair of Bareknuckle miracle man pickups I had laying around that wouldn't fit the model 4 body. I'll put original neck back on the M4 and sell on ebay. Thanks for the input.

Here's photoshop version
                            Last edited by sandmannn69; 12-11-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Finally got round to doing mine, was expensive but worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X