Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood Charvette

Ok guys, here's the deal.

Years back I decided to build my first parts guitar. Never did get a neck for it, but I still have the body. It's a plywood one

Got it off eBay, and didn't know any better at the time.

I'm inspired as of late to do some custom work. I'd like a hum/single dinky, with a copper snakeskin finish. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a hum/single/single and plugging the middle. The Charvette body however is a H/S/S with Floyd route. I keep looking at this chunk of plywood in the corner of my closet and thinking, is this thing worth using, or just taking up space?

Is there any point in using it? I know it'll never sell if I decide to try. Do I just throw it away?
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

dont throw it away. I am sure someone here would buy it. even if its not big $$$. dont throw it away, someone can always use it.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Don't just throw it away. Put it in your grinder first.

Comment

Nice!
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

hell even give it to someone that will use it. I am sure someone would pay shipping on it. just dont throw it away. that is nonsense.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I have a plywood Charvette body and neck that I'm going to build some day I'm going to use the body as a template for the body I make. So it's not a total loss. Good luck.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Oooh, I never thought of that. I too would like to get into making my own pieces. Good call sir. I will keep it for just that.

Comment

Make a wall clock out of it!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's what I'm doing with it when I'm done as well.
                  I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Keep in mind that most, if not all of those where a 24.75 inch scale like a fusion.

Comment

just put some EMGs in there and it'll scream. it won't matter if it's ply or not then... all of my guitars with EMGs sound the same, whether its alder, maple, etc.

Comment

I had a plywood kramer once that actually sounded good.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I'm going to have to reaffirm my "grinder" recommendation here, as I have some real concerns. Let's say we convince you to keep the body. The inevitable will happen. Over time it will make its way to the closet, then to the garage, on to storage...eventually forgotten. It will migrate to the dumpster with all the other unfinished projects and misfit toys, and then finally...the landfill. This may not be its final resting point. There is a small but very real possibility that some trash pickin', peculiar smellin', Blazer-lookin' hobbit dude will discover it, dig it out, and squirrel it away to his "shop" with glee. Then, sadly, this guitar would get resurrected with, say, a Squier neck, a hardtail bridge made of Legos, and wiring salvaged from a Mr. Coffee machine. Rest assured we would ALL be seeing super high-res pics of this monstrosity on the forum in the future. We can't let this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            I'm going to have to reaffirm my "grinder" recommendation here, as I have some real concerns. Let's say we convince you to keep the body. The inevitable will happen. Over time it will make its way to the closet, then to the garage, on to storage...eventually forgotten. It will migrate to the dumpster with all the other unfinished projects and misfit toys, and then finally...the landfill. This may not be its final resting point. There is a small but very real possibility that some trash pickin', peculiar smellin', Blazer-lookin' hobbit dude will discover it, dig it out, and squirrel it away to his "shop" with glee. Then, sadly, this guitar would get resurrected with, say, a Squier neck, a hardtail bridge made of Legos, and wiring salvaged from a Mr. Coffee machine. Rest assured we would ALL be seeing super high-res pics of this monstrosity on the forum in the future. We can't let this happen.
                            I actually like the lego bridge idea.

Comment

Just curious, but why is the general consensus that they sound bad? I mean, what particular characteristics do they have or not have?

I'm a bit of an oddball at times. For instance, I'm the type of fella who loves JBs in alder. In fact, sometimes I wish it was even more trebly.

Comment

Working...
                              X