Model 3 wiring: I have NO sound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 wiring: I have NO sound!

I plugged in my 1986 Model 3 and heard a shorting/buzzing sound then nothing. I wiggle everything, still no sound.
    I pulled the bridge and pickguard/pickup plate and find this:
    Loose wire from the trem spring claw:

Where does this wire attach to? A little help please?

That should be a ground wire coming from the trem spring claw. So it should go to the black wire connecting the 2 volume pots. But with it not connected, you'd get a grounding issue with some bad humming, but you should still get sound from the pickups. So I don't think it'll solve the no sound issue. Check the output jack a well.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Just to be clear:
      the pot with the green cap is the tone. There is only only 1 volume pot.
      Resolder the loose wire to the balck wire that connects the two pots?
      The output jack is tight into the body. Possibly, the wires connected to it have come loose inside the body?

Comment

you can resolder it to any where the grounds are, the easiest place will most likely be the back of the volume pot. as for no sound........ yes, check your output jack, that sounds like the best place to start. if that is good, check all other solder joints. if they are all good, then you might have a bad switch or pot.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I soldered in a new wire from the trem claw to the back of the volume pot. Just like new!
          I removed the factory wire which was teeny tiny, and installed a 20 gauge wire. No more problems!
          Thanks Guys.

Comment

Working...
          X