No announcement yet.

Model 2 Bridge Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link to Dave at Fretsonthenet. I got the part I needed and when I was putting it back together the set screw for the string lock stripped the head and I had to order one of those from him as well. He was very fast in responding and shipping. Had exactly what I needed and now I am able to play my guitar again at a fraction of the cost of a new bridge.

I am not impressed with the PU. It just seems very weak. I think I am going to put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in it and paint it with Tiger stripes like George Lynch's ESP.. What do you think?

Comment

Nice fiddle. When you say weak, do you mean the output is low? The standard J90C pickup is a very hot pickup (I think it's hotter than the Super Distortion). You may want to check the wiring to make sure everything looks connected properly. If so, the pickup may be dead. IMO, the J90C is one of the better Jackson made pickups and nails the 80's HM tone.

Comment

love that colour. Mine is the same. Shame to refinish it if it doesn't need it
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Classy in white leave it as is.
          I would check the wiring first or the out put jack and ground wires The J-90C screams 80's, a bad ass pick up.
          Back to the trem statement who says the edge is the best? OFR's kick the edge trem any day of the week.
          The JT-6 is a fine trem as well, I have never broken one or worn one out for that matter and I'm not afraid to use one hard too.
          Last edited by straycat; 11-08-2011, 01:56 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.. I definately won't be refinishing it soon. It has a nice thick finish on it but it has yellowed a bit.. used to be pearl (metallic) white. Can't see the metallic or pearl anymore. I did have to replace the jack as the center post wasn't holding the cable in. I wired it correctly I thought. I don't know much about these past that.. maybe I'll post a pic of the wiring since there is not much electronics to it and see if you experts can figure it out. Maybe I just need to take it apart and rewire it.

Comment

I forgot to mention that the pickup just seemed like the volume was rolled down halfway and there wasn't much crunch to it. It was like I was playing without much distortion.

Comment

Here is the pics... you can see there is red and a white lead that are not attached to anything. It looked to me like they were taped together on the thick black part of the PU lead but the tape came off.

Last edited by chrisf; 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Just put some tape or heat shrink tubing over the end of the red and white wire. If it shorts out, you are essentially playing a single coil pickup (aka about half the output).
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Just put some tape or heat shrink tubing over the end of the red and white wire. If it shorts out, you are essentially playing a single coil pickup (aka about half the output).
                    Hopefully that is all there is too it then... I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Comment

I had this problem, you might need to buy a thread saver kit. These schaller licenced floyds are made out of cheap zinc then coated with a nice metalic paint. if the threads are bad buy an M3 kit (its M3 or M4 when you buy the screws it will tell you)

You wont need to replace the whole trem plate with a thread saver kit.

Comment

Working...
                      X