Model 3 trem question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 trem question

Hey guys, can the old Floyds w/out the fine tuners be swapped out for a new one with them? Same dimensions for the posts and all, or is it a different beast altogether? There is a nice model 3 I'd like to buy, but the fine tuners on my 650xl got me spoiled! Thanks.....Rick

I'm pretty sure there is a drop in available, but one of the "experts" will let you (us) know....

Comment

These never came with an old Floyd to begin with, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Model 3's came with either a Kahler 2500 or a JT6. Both have a locking nut (or to be more precise, the behind the nut string lock). If someone swapped either of these for a Floyd without fine tuners, how would you tune after locking the strings?

Comment

I would look closely at the trem. Model 3s came with either jt-6 trems or kahler fulcrum trems. A floyd will replace a jt6 fairly easily, same post width. It will not replace the kahler though as the posts are of a different width and design. I find it odd that someone went to the trouble of replacing a jt6 with a tunerless floyd but its possible. Its also possible that someone removed all the fine tuners from the kahler fulcrum trem. Ive seen this before. If it is indeed a floyd then you will have little problem replacing it with a newer floyd or copy as long as it has the proper size block. Long block is needed for proper travel and height.

Comment

Doh! I type too slow. LOL!

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I have only seen a blurry pic of the bridge so I'll have to wait till I get my hands on it to know for sure. Thanks again........Rick

Comment

I'm thinking they're the same plate width - post spacing for the old style non fine tuner to the fine tuner versions.

Maybe you're buying a Kramer body with a Charvel neck? or a Model 1? or ????

I got out my parts box and confirmed the old style non finer tuner floyd. Eyeballing post spacing from centerpoint to centerpoint, they look equal to the original floyd, as well as the licensed JT 590's. Even a 580 LP as well as the Kahler Spyder were the same, so the JT-6 'should' be no different.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/107...wap+with+floyd

The difference on the non finer tuner floyd is the length of the plate, its about an 1/8" shorter but it should also make no difference other than maybe an intonation tweak. (this being measure in the direction of the saddles/strings) Also, older floyds do not have post inserts since they had screw in posts as the pivot, so the pivot points were smaller diameter to fit the posts. This is more noticeable on the non fine tuner plate as opposed to the original fine tuner floyds w/o inserts.
              (the later having a slightly larger pivot opening over the former)
              The non finer tuner floyd looks to have about a 1/16" smaller circumference post hole relative to the Charvel plates.
              Last edited by charvelguy; 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X