It's a sad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a sad day

Well do to the present state of our economy and the astronomical gas prices. I've had to resort to selling or pawning my gear again. At the rate things have been going lately i knew it would only be a matter of time before the beloved jems i refused to sell but only pawn would have to be parted with. Unfortunately that day came on Wed. I had to sell my Charvel 750XL. And of course it sold first thing the following day. I've sold guitars that i swore i would never sell. I've got only one amp my Roxkman XP100 combo. Wich im now debating on selling at a guitar show this weekend just to survive till next pay day and maybe get some other things taken care of. I've got my Crate, my Marshall and my dean Markley amps all in pawn not to mention over 10 of my guitars that i have left. I was ok parting with my PRS and my Les Paul ( ok that hurt a bit) But the 750 was so amazing it practically played itself. I only have my frankenstien guitars left plus my Martin which may be pawned for Junes rent depending on what happens in the next few weeks. I feel im losing myself with each one that leaves the house. So is the 750's departure a start of an end or the start of new hope? Or a false hope?
    Gil

BTW my 750 was bought by somebody named Alex that lives in PA. is he a member here by chance?

Comment

Ouch!!!!!!! That really sucks, I wish I knew you were selling I would have picked it up for you and most likely sold it back when times get better for you, ya, that's how I roll.

Sorry you had to part with it, but eating and housing are the priority. You will find another.
      750XL Cherry Sunburst
      375DX Metallic black
      Model 2 blue
      Model 2 Red
      USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
      USA Slime Green San Dimas
      MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
      Gibson Les Pauls
      PRS SC-250

Comment

Titan thanks i appreciate it. unfortunately when i sell something its usually last minute. So didnt have the time to post it here. But at least i made a profit on it.
        Gil

Comment

Gil,
          Sorry to here things are going so shitty for you. prices are getting unreal around chicago, I don't what I would do myself if I haven't bought a hybrid.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Gil! I went through something similar last year when I had a bunch of unexpected expenses all hit during the dead season for my business. I listed a bunch of guitars hoping the ones I didn't play much would sell, but of course the 750 and a CS strathead went right away, and that was that. I had a chance to buy the 750 back, thanks to the extremely cool JCFer (Spike) who bought it, but it was just a couple of months later and I was still just getting by at that point. I doubt I'll ever get a shot at another one as nice, especially at that price, so I feel your pain. Hope things start looking up for you soon!

This economy is a motherfucker, and I know a lot of us have had to face some stuff we never imagined we'd have to, but I still feel pretty lucky to have just lost a couple of guitars, especially when I think of what some others are going through, or what my dad's dad went through in the '30s.

Comment

Sorry you have to go thru that I can relate times are tough.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You have an XP100? I would be interested in buying that. Very eclectic market on those they used to run around 500 ish years back but I have not shopped them for quite some time. Sorry to hear you are going thru some tough times. (especially since they seem to be fuel - inflation related.)
                I used to worry a bit more when I took pay cuts from 07, then 08 gas prices hit and I had a car that only got low 20's, that hurt every time I had to fill-up. Course, then the market crash came about. I'm rather surprised thet fuel prices have been pushed back up, same type of fossil fuel turbo capitalism that drove the last crash, I really doubt there are still enough safeguards in place to keep another collapse at bay, in fact, it could possibly be worse than it was. (especially if there's another panic - look at how commodities recently took a huge dropoff)
                Companies are still trying to cut costs every year - with the noose getting tighter and tighter with jobs being reshuffled. We took more pay cuts and lay-offs in '09 so, I'm now making just the minimum of where I should be. (and I know I could command more)

Whether or not there is a new hope only depends on the opportunities available to you. I had a job offer were it was thousands more per year, (salaried and closer to home) but I didn't take it as the timing was completely wrong. (and the hours) So, not sure of your circumstances out there, but there are jobs where one can compensate. If transpo gets to costly, I'll make changes. One thing I did do is get a more car with better gas mileage.
                Last edited by charvelguy; 05-15-2011, 02:21 AM.

Comment

You could get a decent price on Ebay for the Rockman. Those things are scarce. Last one I saw went over $1000 IIRC.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ebay would be an option if it didn't take so long to complete the whole thing. I need money now. Sure ill still need Money in a week but that doesn't help me now. Threes an xp100 on ebay now for725 ish and no bids. Although his handle is broken. But mine is scratched and the grill cloth isn't perfect. But it works perfect. And is all original.

Comment

If everyone sticks together and has faith, this will pass. Turbulent times make us who we are and help us appreciate what we have and had. When things get better, and they will, we can all have more guitars and most of all, more fun! We need to fight for a better future for our children. It is still good to be American.

Comment

If it helps and your good with an iron, etc... My method of damage control, is the following. I'm going through the same deal. Get all your prized axes together and strip them down to nothing. Keep a good cheap one up and running of course. Hide you favorite necks and bodies and sell all the parts. My theory being, you can always get pickups, tuners, floyds, etc.. but, you cannot replace certain necks/bodies. At the very least, necks. I have an Ibanez rgr, strat copy, 2 jackson professional necks, fusion body, ps4 body, stripped model 6, 2 schallers, 1 floyd. Everything else is going to the bay. Amps are always replaceable, if you ask me, most people hate/love certain amps, not realizing the tubes are usually make or break em. If you don't want to deal with ebay use craigslist. Sell necks last, hopefully doesn't get that bad. Just trying to give some options and ideas for those in pain. I feel you, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ps43203 View Post
                          If it helps and your good with an iron, etc... My method of damage control, is the following. I'm going through the same deal. Get all your prized axes together and strip them down to nothing. Keep a good cheap one up and running of course. Hide you favorite necks and bodies and sell all the parts. My theory being, you can always get pickups, tuners, floyds, etc.. but, you cannot replace certain necks/bodies. At the very least, necks. I have an Ibanez rgr, strat copy, 2 jackson professional necks, fusion body, ps4 body, stripped model 6, 2 schallers, 1 floyd. Everything else is going to the bay. Amps are always replaceable, if you ask me, most people hate/love certain amps, not realizing the tubes are usually make or break em. If you don't want to deal with ebay use craigslist. Sell necks last, hopefully doesn't get that bad. Just trying to give some options and ideas for those in pain. I feel you, good luck.
                          That's a good idea actually!
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                            That's a good idea actually!
                            Hell yeah it is. You'll probably end up walking with more cash than if you sold the guitar complete.

Before the Internet it would be tough to market the pieces, but now it's cake.

Comment

sorry to hear that you had to see a 750XL, that really is depressing

Comment

Working...
                              X