Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were to refinish a Model 2C that had been molested...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were to refinish a Model 2C that had been molested...........

Well I want some opinions on what you guys would do to this beast. It had 2 Motor City singles and a STD Jackson Model 2 bridge humbucker. The trem was a Kahler and I'll probably keep that since it works.

Do I fill in the two added single coil cavities?
    Do I update all the elect switches and pot?
    It's getting stripped down and I want to know what works best for that. The paint on it was not dry when they re-assembled it and there are witness marks everywhere. Can u recommend a good stripper (Not Mercedes or Chastity either lol).

The very tip of the headstock has a small piece of the light color area chipped. What do you use to repair this without refinishing the entire neck.

I'm thinking of letting the guy that does all of our race boats and custom cars paint the thing with automotive paint from House of Kolors.

Any input from you guys that have done this before would be much appreciated.

Rock on!

If you want to get rid of the singles, sure I guess, but from what I can see from the pic, they look pretty professional. If they were all butchered up, then Id say definitely fill them, but they look alright to me. Ive considered refins with car paint and have seen a few decent ones. If you do, have multiple clear coats put on it and youll be alright.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I say leave the singles but fill them with some Duncan or Dimarzio rail type single size humbuckers and a nice super hot humbucker and the thing should kill. As for the refinish, go for it. Maybe a graphic on it? Either way it should be some nice player when you're done. Good luck!!
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

Aircraft stripper is the easiest way to strip it just brush it on wait until it bubbles the paint and scrape it off with a plastic scraper gloves too BTW.
        If you have access to wood shavings that is a great way to remove the stripper it wont scratch the wood where a scraper can if you are not careful.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just finished this yesterday. It was done with Automotive paint and 2 coats of epoxy clear coat. Then sanded with 2000 grit until the orange peel was removed and the polished with a rubbing compound. The tremolo was upgraded to the Kahler 2710.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Do you think the area under the trem needs to be routed? It looks like there is not enough room judging by the witness marks in the paint???

I think I'm going to have someone paint it for me. There is a local guy named Hal Loo (Mural Lab) that I may use and not try my luck at painting. Any ideas for paint schemes?

Comment

I think pearlized paints looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X