Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting 1988 Model 6 - Locking Nut

Anyone seen this before ?

This is a late 1988 Charvel Model 6 in Rainbow Crackle. The interesting thing about this guitar is the headstock and locking nut. As you can see by the pics, it has the 1989 style headstock(slightly longer) with the built-in shelf for a standard style Floyd Rose locking nut. You can tell by the binding on the shelf that this guitar did not ever have a regular phenolic nut with JT-6 style locking nut behind it. This is the factory locking nut, with a Kahler logo on it. Interesting nut and gotta be rare. The funny thing though is that the nut has a 16" radius while Charvel compound radius fingerboards are 12" at the nut, 16" at the 24th fret.

Further proof the locking nut is original:

No extra holes from a JT-6 locking nut.

Comment

Probably a late 88. I had one of those Kahler lock nuts on a Fender Strat. Stripped out the hex heads in a day. Sucked.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Not all that rare I have seen quite a few late 88's like that.
        The lock nuts are pretty good never had a problem with one.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It seems just fine. I may throw a regular R3 nut on there though simply because it would have the correct 12" radius.

Comment

Make sure the R3's height is correct.
            I would leave it as is if it plays fine.

Comment

You can get the replacement screws from Wammiworld. As to the nuts themselves, the Kahler Locking Nuts seen above are IMHO some of the finest pieces of engineering - combining a locking nut and a string retainer in one unit! Keep it, just replace the JT-6 with an OFR (I would!) and you've got yourself a dream guitar!
              "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
              '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
              '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
              '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
              '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

You realize this thread is from 2 years ago?

Comment

Another Necro.

Comment

Working...
                  X