Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot value for JE-1500 mid-sweep?

Hi

I need to replace the tone pot on my Charvel Spectrum. Does anyone know the type of pot required to replace it? It's attached to the JE-1500 Mid Sweep/Wah pre-amp thingy I've looked at the pot but can't see a value on it. I tried to measure it with a multimeter but can't for some reason get a reading. And I can't find a schematic for the JE-1500 pre-amp on the web.

I also note that it has 6 lugs on it, is this significant? Well here's the tricky little fella

So is this pot like the JE-1200 pre-amp ? A 50k linear pot?

any help much appreciated.

That is a push-pull pot. It works as a regular tone pot in one position and as your active mid sweep in the other position. I just searched, and I can't find the value anywhere. Hopefully someone here will know. My guess is that it may be a standard audio-taper 250k push-pull rather than a 50k pot. The JE-1200 uses a 250k tone pot even though the other 2 pots are 50k in that circuit, so that's why I'm leaning that way.

Comment

Thanks for the input dg. Unfortunately it is NOT a push/pull pot. The mid sweep is activated by a mini toggle switch on the guitar. I've had another crack at measuring it with the multimeter. For some reason , this time I managed to get a better reading and it does look like a 50k pot. I think what we have here is a 50k dual gang pot although I've not no idea if it is a linear or audio taper pot. Now the difficult part is trying to find a replacement! If I manage to sort this out I'll be sure to post my results as I'm sure this would be useful info. for others with the JE-1500.

Comment

Sorry about giving you the wrong info! The places I just checked call that a blend pot or blend control. GPD has 25k linear & audio blend pots. I'm not seeing any at 50k, but there has to be a source.

http://www.gpdusa.com/Electronics-Potentiometers.html

You may want to try posting this question in the tech section, since the JE-1500 was used more often on Jackson Fusions than on import Charvels. Some of the guys never look in this section, and they may know exactly what you need

Comment

I'm afraid that might be a tough pot to source. I think it's a 250K or 500K audio passive (when the JE1500 is off) and a 50K linear when turned on.

Just an FYI, you are not going to get a correct reading when it is in circuit. You need to de-solder it, then read the outer lugs on both pots for the total value, the set the pot to the mid-point. If you get a reading of 1/2 the total value measuring center lug to outer, you have a linear pot. If it's other than 1/2 the total value, it's audio.

Comment

Working...
          X