Charvel Predator trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Predator trem

Is it really as easy as it sounds replacing the trem with an Original Floyd? Couple new pivot posts to make it all new at contact point and drop it in? I would assume maybe just the sustain block height might get altered? I am going to look at what seems to be a very clean Predator with a honest player price. I have a extra Floyd, thats why I ask.I'm sure its been discussed before.

The intonation on the JT590 is slightly different than an OFR. It may work or it may not (in which case one or more of your saddles will be at the end of their length of travel). Your best bet is to get a Schaller. What is the issue with the JT590?

Comment

Nothing yet, I haven't got the guitar yet. I just keep reading "swap out to a Floyd" I guess I wait and see , if its as clean as the guitar is supposed to be maybe I'll be ok. I have a 1986 Model 2 and the 2500 Kahler just does not work, always goes out of tune. I thought about getting a 2710 Kahler but its $250 bucks and I never have heard someone decribe that they have one and it is the answer. So.... just over thinking the Predator trem and I have a Floyd laying here, but its a USA newer one. Still, damn excited to see this Predator. All original and the guy seems like a straight up dude.

Comment

If the JT590 is OK, don't try to swap in an OFR. It's a great trem. #1 - If you ask on here, you'd get an arguement on which is better. They're both made in Germany by Schaller except the new MIK ones that are "supposed to be" as good as the MIG and backed fully by Floyd Rose (you'll get an arguement on if they're as good). #2 - The string lock bolts will stick out past the Schaller route and dig into the paint.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by axmann View Post
          I have a 1986 Model 2 and the 2500 Kahler just does not work, always goes out of tune. I thought about getting a 2710 Kahler but its $250 bucks and I never have heard someone decribe that they have one and it is the answer.
          Yes, the Kahler Killer is worth it, but not $250. I have one sitting here I'll sell you for $249

As far as the JT590, do not swap that out unless it's busted.

And finally, JT6's work just fine.

Comment

Keep the schaller jt590.

Comment

Thanks guys.This forum is just too cool with all this expierience drifting through.I want you guys to know how much I appreciate all the insight. I get it next week. I really wanted a orange Fusion with a maple neck. This will have to do. I doubt it will remain totaly stock(not butcherd, just dialed in for me.).I hope the trem is mechanically stable. There is a mod plan for this. After getting my first mij Charvel (1986 Model 1) I'm really impressed with the quality and playability. That original J90 has some serious bite and the neck is really fluid and enjoyable to play.I think I'm just going to block the 2500 Kahler, it sucks, thats the only low point on the model 2. How much fun can you have for a couple hundred bucks.Anyone got a orange fusion with a maple fretboard or maybe rosewood , give a shout before next weekend if you want to part ways. I am just so impressed with the feel and playability of the Model 2 neck.I had it massaged by Cactus King in Hartford Wisconsin. He is a wealth of Charvel knowledge and repair craftsmanship.Huge bang for the buck. The Model 2 stays in the rotation rack bumping a 1965 Sg Special into the safety of its case. Hopefully this Dinky body Predator plays as good as the original owner says it did many years back. Then we may start to consider some BareKnuckle directions.

Comment

Working...
              X