Neck comparison, Wildcard vs. MIJ San Dimas/SoCal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck comparison, Wildcard vs. MIJ San Dimas/SoCal

Hi all...I just played a few Charvels at my local guitar store, and I have a question. They only had 3 on the floor; 2 Wildcards there (the trans-majenta MIA one and the current aqua MIJ one) and an MIA SoCal. I really liked the neck on the MIJ Wildcard better than on the MIA guitars....it was very smooth and I liked the sort of scalloping on the fretboard edges. The MIA guitars had sharp fret ends and the neck felt different...can't really put my finger on it. Can anyone tell me if the other MIJ Charvel's (San Dimas and SoCal) have the same/similar neck? I know the Wildcard is rosewood and the others are maple, but is the fit/finish the same? If the Wildcard weren't SSH I'd probably just buy that, but I really want a San Dimas.

Thanks!

I have a MIJ So Cal and it does have the aggressively rolled or scalloped fretboard edge you describe....

Comment

Lots of people are saying that the frets are better on the MIJ and the edges are rolled more on the MIJ(sometimes way too much). The rosewood boards aren't rolled at all though only the maple.

Comment

I have yet to play one of the Made in Japan models. Can't wait for NAMM next week to get my hands on one of them. Hopefully they will have the next wildcard model there too. Anyway, I like having rolled edges on the neck.
        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Thanks, guys...I appreciate the replies. I actually liked the neck with the rolled edges on the MIJ Wildcard, so I'm happy to hear this. Hopefully NAAM results in some new models/colors!

Comment

I have one MIA San Dimas Style 1 from the second batch (I'll come to that point later) and have tried MIJ Wildcard, San Dimas, SoCal in the guitar store to compare against MIA San Dimas (if it was similar I was going to buy SoCal for modify it to HSS config). I can tell without any doubt that neck of 3 MIJ guitars are not close to MIA San Dimas (both playability and sound). They are decent guitars but wrong comparison.
            Also at the time I bought my San Dimas I tried SoCals and SanDimas' from different batches. I went there with fixed mind to buy White San Dimas (from batch 5?) and before that I had decided to buy a Charvel after trying a Green SoCal. After trying guitars from different batches I noticed that first 3 batches had better necks and tones (more vein in the neck wood) and ended up with Blue San Dimas (from batch 2, there was no San Dimas left from Batch1)
            I suspect that in first few batches more effort and quality had been put on to make a name (marketing strategy?).

Comment

Working...
            X