My new Surfcaster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Surfcaster...

picked this up over the holiday break... Original early 90's sunburst, Chandler lipstick tube pickups, push-push pot puts the pickups out of phase for a weird '70's funk rhythm tone. Gigantic frets. Goes well with my Sea Green HT, dontcha think? I'm loving it, but it looks like the stock trem/bridge is Gotoh and the block is... well, just a little thing. Anyone ever try replacing the trem block? Not looking to replace the bridge, just the trem block.

Thoughts?
    "Life's too short for shitty guitars" - unknown

I love Surfcasters. Especially in Seafoam green with the "C" tail piece.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Awesomeness! Very nice with the chrome hum in the HT also. Why not go all the way and also change the pup ring - to something non-black like chrome or aged white? You're almost there
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

LOVE the burst finish- only color surfy I haven't owned. WANT a 12 string burst!
        I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

How does a surfcaster sound? Is it similar to an es-335 or a tele thinline or a dano?

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
            How does a surfcaster sound? Is it similar to an es-335 or a tele thinline or a dano?
            The two lipstick tube version: Very crystaline clear... more strat sounding than Tele, think "Tin Pan Alley" by Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The humbucker + 1 lipstick version: Like a great Les Paul (humbucker) AND like a Strat (lipstick in neck) and a Tele (humbucker split, + neck lipstick)

It's all highly subjective and obviously depends on your rig, but the Lipstick tube pickups are generally more suited for cleaner tones, but with the right FX you can get good bluesy overdriven tones.
            "Life's too short for shitty guitars" - unknown

Comment

I had a Surfcaster when they first came out and wasnt impressed. It was very stiff. I traded it off for a Jackson Kelly and that was even worse. Maybe I just had a bad one.

Comment

Back when these were in catalogs, I could only scrape up enough cash to get a Made in India JDR. I would still love to have one just like your Sea Foam green. Happy surfin'!

Comment

I'm baffled as to if I'd want one or not. Surely a unique axe. I'd have to try one in person first to see.

Comment

I wouldn't have to try it. Even if I didn't like it, it would make great wall candy.
                    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

There a sweet CS model at Custom Metal.. I'd like to buy but can't afford their price right now. Daughter is transferring colleges this year and moving to dorm life.

Comment

I have one exactly like that, has probably less than 3 hours total play on it

Would love to know what its really worth, I have seen them sell on the bay for 1100-2500...yah 2500 is outrageous I know. Anyone have a clue?

Comment

Working...
                        X