Model 6 Problem child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 Problem child

I purchased a white Model 6 on ebay Nov 28, 2010. I have been regretting it ever since. Let me start off by telling you whats wrong with it.

1. The top of the neck where the kahler nut is there is 2" of seperation on one side and 4" on the other
    001.jpg002.jpg

2. there are paint chips all over this guitar and dings and dents
    3. the very top of the neck there is a crack that looks like the wood has a small crack but doesnt run for not even to the edge of the neck
    4.The wiring in the guitar is so messed up from not having the je1200 mid boost gone the third knob does absolutley nothing, the wiring someone used wire nuts and a piece of soilder to all three pots.
    5. original floyd rose nice but missing lock wedges orblocks whatever there called.

What should i do with the guitar i want a model 6 but this one is going to break me. Do to the fact that he didnt mention any of this.

Here is his exact description
    Here is your chance to score an amazing Amazing Charvel Model 6. This guitar has a really sweet sound with the perfect attack and sustain. This guitar really plays and sounds great. The harmonics are really rich. Comes with non-matching Peavey hardshell case. There are real mother of pearl inlays. From what I see this was a top of the line guitar from Charvel and is the best value out there. This guitar weighs 8.6 lbs.
    This guitar was owned by a musician that gigged with it regularly. There is heavy/moderate wear on the body, neck, headstock, and frets. There are stress cracks on the the headstock. They are stable and do not make any creaking noises when pressure is applied. This is a neck through guitar.
    The bridge is an original Floyd Rose with the tremolo arm. The original pickups are Active EMG's. The EMG logo on the bridge pickup is worn off.
    Overall an amazing guitar that has looks that everyone complements on. The White Pearl finish has aged into a vintage yellow.
    This guitar plays the way it is, it will need new strings and a set-up. Sold as is

What should i do

023.jpg022.jpg
    O yes and the fretts need a crown and polishing and the rosewood has divets in it from the D and G strings.
    The third shark fin inlay is a totally differant color inlay

Comment

Seems pretty out in the open to me
      "This guitar was owned by a musician that gigged with it regularly. There is heavy/moderate wear on the body, neck, headstock, and frets. There are stress cracks on the the headstock. "
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The fret wear & body chips were described in the ad, and if somebody mentions that they've got EMGs in one of these, you should pretty much assume that the original electronics are long gone. The area where you may be able to argue is the neck damage. That looks like it took a hard hit rather than being "stress cracks". If his ad didn't have pics that show the extent of the cracks and didn't show that diagonal crack near the scarf joint area, then I think you have a case to either get some money back toward a repair or to get a full refund.

Hope this works out for you. In the future, always ask questions and ask for more detailed pics, especially when someone describes heavy wear or cracks that you can't see well in the auction pics, and if they don't cooperate, walk away.

Comment

Thanks, the pictures didn't show any fret board peeling or a close up on the neck just the front. I will deffinatly ask before hand

Comment

The seller is probably lazy, but did make a lame attempt to disclose everything. I'd bail on that guitar personally. Try to get him to agree to a return/refund.

Comment

Dustin,

You said you got this dirt cheap. If dirt cheap means $100, then you got what you paid for.

I just bought a Model 6 project as well. I've put mine together and it sounds awesome. But if I paid 2x or 3x more than you, I guess I got what I got.

So come clean and tell us how much you are into this deal.

Comment

I considered dirt cheap $350. when there selling for 600, 700$

Comment

That wouldn't necessarily be so bad, but it looks like it needs a refret to me. Looks like a level & crown won't do, going by your pics. On a neckthrough w/ binding, $250 and up. Way more in some places.

Comment

I'll be honest, I think you got taken for a ride. "Stress cracks on the headstock" doesn't say "delaminating fretboard" and if that damage wasn't pictured, then the WORST ASPECT OF THE CONDITION was neither mentioned nor pictured.

If it were the same minus the delaminating fretboard and the scarf joint I'd say you got a worthwhile project for $350, but I'm kind of tired of people saying shit like "Normal wear and tear for a 25 year old guitar" and then it turns out that they mounted the pickup ring with drywall screws 1/4" from where the original screws were because the old screw hole was slightly stripped.

For $350, I say send that piece of shit back. :dunno:

Comment

I paid about $150 more and that didn't unclude a bridge humbucker. Mine was sold as needing a refret, but your frets look worse than mine. Mine is very playable to me but then again I can deal with worn frets.

Shape wise, mine's in much better condition. Nose rash is about it besides minor dings and wear. I had to wire it up from scratch with new pickups and the JE-1200, but now I'm very happy with it.

I'd agree with MAJNH that it's in pretty bad shape and it's not what was described.

Comment

He offered a $200 refund and I keep the guitar

Comment

Id accept those terms. Theres probly $150 in parts that could be sold off of it. Or that $200 would be a good start towards a restoration. Personally though, Id strip it and ship it.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I'm with Jazz and DonP on condition and description. That's a shitty description for what it is. Me personally, and this is ME, not everyone... I'd accept the $200 refund and take it as a challenge and try to fix it myself. I've done a quilted maple top and full refin on one of these but not as much structural damage (fretboard, etc..). I'd try it if it was me.. Maybe I'm gluttoned for punishment though...
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yeah if you are only into it for $150, you can probably do a full restoration and not lose your ass too badly.

Comment

Working...
                              X