Charvel Pro Mod Wild Card Review - Dead Calm Aqua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod Wild Card Review - Dead Calm Aqua

So my latest Charvel acquisition came in today. Bought 'used' on Ebay for $700, this guitar is like new, as new, included all case candy and HD travel case.

The top on mine is great. Super nice quilt and turquoise color. Action was already set up low. Trem was set. Intonation set. Looks to me like the original strings are still on the guitar and they had no or almost no playing time.

Most notably different is the neck on mine is more of a cross between my '02 Traditional and '08 San Dimas. The San Dimas is certainly more C shaped and a little fatter. The Traditional and the Pro Mod are more D shaped and thinner, with the Traditional being the thinnest.

Also the Pro Mod's frets are wonderfully finished with rolled edges. Far nicer and more comfortable than my '08 San Dimas. The San Dimas' frets are nice but the edges and frets are not finished well.

The heavy duty case is just another great bonus to finish a great deal.

I would certainly recommend trying out a Pro Mod if you get the chance and it should have no problem keeping up with an American So Cal or San Dimas.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RjFGCW0Ymbo/TP...2011.08.50.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RjFGCW0Ymbo/TP...2011.08.15.jpg
    Last edited by welkers; 11-27-2010, 08:50 AM.
    Charvel Pro Mod '10 - Dead Calm Aqua
    Charvel San Dimas '08 - Style 1
    Charvel Traditional '02
    ESP Jake E Lee '92
    Gibson LP Gary Moore '00

I saw that on Ebay. Niiiice top. Makes me think of getting one.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I saw it on egay too and said "crap" as I'd already bought one new.

Comment

That color is so very ugly, love everything about that guitar except the hideous finish! Oh yeah, and the colored logo...

Comment

Does anyone else own one of these?? I guess the Jap made pro mods have been on the streets long enough that if there were flaws, they would be apparent.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting one, but was wondering about my above question/comment.

Thx,
          stringpeace
          Last edited by stringpeace; 05-15-2011, 08:26 AM.

Comment

stringpeace
            Does anyone else own one of these?? I guess the Jap made pro mods have been on the streets long enough that if there were flaws, they would be apparent.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting one, but was wondering about my above question/comment.

Thx,
            stringpeace
            most say they are the same or better than the usa versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              most say they are the same or better than the usa versions.
              That's what I continue to read as well.

My local SA has one... and I've got $!

Comment

I have owned one since February. So far I have no major complaints. I read everything I could find before buying. The neck is very comfortable to play and it seems to be very well made. I looked at a lot a guitars and this one offered alot, including a great case.
                Last edited by Kempo Bulldog; 06-12-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I`ve read that the #4 and #5 are the same axe with different tops...

Anyway, I got my #5 dirt cheap from the USA and it`s a fucken arse-kicker!

I got mine with what was said to be hardly played with factory strings and tags. The action jumped up quite a bit the first time I broke a string so it was off for a set up.

I can see what they they mean by the fret finishing but it is`nt anything noticeable for me when I`m playing. I have my axes set up by the right person and I can`t say it is better than my USA`s but it definetly ain`t any worse...

I can get pretty close to strat tones with it and I`m not a tone nerd so I guess I`d call it `stratty`.

My fav axe at the moment... Bang for yr buck? Absolute dynamite!

ROCK ON!!!

Comment

I just picked one of these up off ebay NEW for 599 shipped. I guess it's not the current wildcard but who cares. I think it's a steal at this price. I like the fact it included a Charvel hard case too.
                    2011 Charvel Aqua Wildcard #4
                    2011 GMW tele project
                    2010 GMW strat project
                    2010 Fender USA strat Highway 1
                    2006 Peavey HP Special black
                    2005 Peavey HP Special NAMM Guitar teal quilt
                    2004 Gibson LP Classic goldtop
                    1990s ESP MII Deluxe purple
                    1988 Kramer Nighswan baby blue polka dot

Bugera 333Xl
                    Marshall 2X12 1936 cab

Comment

I just picked up one of these new at Sam Ash for $497. Full warranty from purchasing from an authorized dealer, with case, case candy and a few extras thrown in (strap locks, allen wrenches, allen wrench holder, cord, picks).

Cool guitar. Can get stratty tones. Flamed maple neck is cool. Nice rosewood. Just a good, solid playing guitar.
                      Last edited by DonP; 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I just picked up one of these new at Sam Ash for $497. Full warranty from purchasing from an authorized dealer, with case, case candy and a few extras thrown in (strap locks, allen wrenches, allen wrench holder, cord, picks).

Cool guitar. Can get stratty tones. Flamed maple neck is cool. Nice rosewood. Just a good, solid playing guitar.
                        Yep, I got one for the same price yesterday. They are discontinuing them...
                        Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

What's the difference between #4 and #5? Mine says it's a #4 on the hang tag. Same type of deal like the RR24M for $495.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                            What's the difference between #4 and #5? Mine says it's a #4 on the hang tag. Same type of deal like the RR24M for $495.
                            The only difference is the finish. #4 is dead calm aqua and #5 is molten burst. You got a great deal. I didn't pay full price but paid alot more than that. Very versatile, you'll get a lot of use out of the 5 way switch if you like playing different styles of music.

Comment

Originally posted by Kempo Bulldog View Post
                              The only difference is the finish. #4 is dead calm aqua and #5 is molten burst. You got a great deal. I didn't pay full price but paid alot more than that. Very versatile, you'll get a lot of use out of the 5 way switch if you like playing different styles of music.
                              Right. With one of these, who needs a Strat?

Comment

Working...
                              X