Bought the Wildcard Japan Pro Mod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought the Wildcard Japan Pro Mod!

I was up near boston visiting a friend and decided to stop by Matt's Music. I really wanted to check out the import SD's and see if they were as good as I've been hearing. First I checked out a White Socal. Sound-wise, its the same as a USA socal. As far as feel goes, it's slightly different. You would have to have played an USA version pretty extensively to notice a difference. Luckily, I have a candy tangerine socal for comparison. The Jap model feels slightly lighter. I don't know if they're using 2 piece bodies now, but it did feel a bit lighter. The knob is still textured, but feels much softer. The PU selector switch is also softer. I'm not sure if its made out of metal. Besides that, it's pretty much the same guitar. The fretboard also has a darker tint.

The San Dimas model is pretty similar to the socal, but it felt the same weight-wise. To my ears it sounded sharper and seemed to be more focussed.

After that, I played a Slime green USA socal for comparison. One thing I immediately noticed was how noce the frets were...On the Japanese model. The frets on the new pro mods all felt great. Actually it feels like a custom shop job as far as the frets ar concerned.The fretboard is smooth and the neck shape is to die for.

During this time, I was talking with Matt, saying how I have four of the USA Pro Mods and how I'd post a review of the new one on JCF. We started talking Jackson/ Charvel stuff and he pulled out this awesome PC1/ It was green and had flames made out of abalone. It played like a champ and the sustainer was just cool to use.

Next he showed me something pretty cool. He brings me towards the back of the store and starts opening a large flight case that says "Randy Rhodes". Sure enough, He had one of the replica's in. It was relliced and came with duct tape covering the back. It was pretty cool to see. Matt especially liked the fact that the serial number was 666. It was a pretty neat guitar to see, but at $10,000. It was more than a bit out of my price range. And no, I wasn't able to play it

After that I had a quick go on aCS san dimas and played a japan pro mod again. I asked Matt if he had the red SD (he didn't), but he said he had the Wildcard model. It was still sealed inside the charvel shipping box. Matt Unboxed it and let me have a go with it.

It was in perfect tune straight out of the box. I played it for about 5 minutes and was sold. It has a 5 way PU selector and gives me some tonal variations versus my other Charvel's. It also has the two single coils and they give me a sound which I haven't had before, as I don't have any guitars with SC's. It also has a floating trem and an aqua charvel logo on the headstock- I like it

It has great tone and playability.The fit and finish are superb as well. Normally I wouldn't have gone for a rosewood fingerboard, but it just sounds and feels so great.

Anyway, its about 2:15 AM and I'm tired. I'll try to post a full review later on as well as some pictures. I'd also like to thank Matt at Matt's Music for his great service and friendly attitude

Peace-
    Last edited by The Rossness; 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM.

Where the fugg's the pics, man?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yes we must see pic's....................................
      Charvel CST 060 1992
      Charvel CST 070 1992
      Charvel CDS 090 1993
      Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
      Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
      Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
      Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
      Duesenberg 49er 2012
      Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
      Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
      History TH-LS Limited 2009
      History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
        a large flight case that says "Randy Rhodes"
        Hmmm, was his name actually misspelled on the flight case?
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
          Hmmm, was his name actually misspelled on the flight case?
          Probably not.

Pics-

Comment

Comment

Nice fiddle man!
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Very cool! Love the color. If they would just get rid of the middle single coil, I'd probably buy one.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Very cool! Love the color. If they would just get rid of the middle single coil, I'd probably buy one.
                  just tear it out, ya big sook!

how about a better shot of that sexy h/s logo?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    just tear it out, ya big sook!

how about a better shot of that sexy h/s logo?

Comment

now that is cool
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Theres one of these here at a long & mcquade for the same price as a USA orange single hum socal . No disrespect to the japs but for the same price, il go us.

Comment

differences I've noticed-

The neck feels slightly different. Not the shape, but the oil that's on it. It feels slightly less raw, but it not covered in laquer or anything.

Towards the upper frets [18 and up], it looks like there's a little bit of scalloping going on on the low E side of the neck.

The quilt maple top looks stunning in person. While the pictures make it out to be a dark blue/ aqua. I'd say it's on the greener side of things. Has anyone has ever been down to the Keys in Florida? If you've driven across that long bridge, where on one side the water is blue, and on the other side is green, the guitar's top is kind of that varying shade. It has blackburst edges and a trans- black back.

It has MOP dot markers on the fretboard.

The frets and fretboard have been aggressively rolled. The frets are super polished and feel large.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                            Theres one of these here at a long & mcquade for the same price as a USA orange single hum socal . No disrespect to the japs but for the same price, il go us.
                            none taken. But at the same time, It's really nice to have true single coils in a guitar. I love my 1H guitar, but the SC's add some variety to the mix. I can get some really pristine, jangely clean tones on my Vox, then kick on my Suhr Riot pedal, have the sound of a JCM800 and flick down to the bridge for some hard rock.

Comment

I don't beleive I saw a rubber seal between the neck plate and the body? How is the weight? I found quite a few of the USA pro mods to be on the heavy side.

Comment

Working...
                              X