Need some help with Charvel Fusion Custom re-fretting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with Charvel Fusion Custom re-fretting

I recently bought a 89' Charvel Fusion Custom in desert crackle finish, which as a guitar is outstanding, but needs some work. Among them, re-fretting is a must, and due to lack of knowledge on this type of work and also lack of information about the model i have in general I am in a state of confusion at the moment.

After some google-ing i managed to find that all the import Charvel had this stuff for fret wire : -

Fret Wire:
    Hardness - Rockwell C6/Brinell 171
    Size - .118 x .114 x .51 x .37
    Composition - 18% Nickel Silver

It would be very helpful if someone could get me a link to the fretwires that will fit in my guitar.

Regards

If you are going to re-fret it, I don't think it matters what it originally came with. Refret it with what you want it to have.

Comment

Here's a chart:

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

Most places are going to be using Dunlop fretwire. Don is absolutely right that a refret is your chance to make it perfect for you, and you can use pretty much anything. 6100 seems to be the most popular jumbo wire out there, but if you really love what you had on yours and want to duplicate it, it looks like 6110 or 6120 will be closer to the original size.

Comment

thanks for the information guys. Also , can someone help with replacing the floyd rose bridge? The one i have is the jt590 bridge by Schaller, and it is not in the best of condition. Will the Gotoh bridge fit in its position? or will i have to look for a low profile original floyd rose??

Comment

I have a Floyd Rose Pro (low profile) in a Schaller (JT590) route and it sits off to one side. Strings line up right and posts match and all but the baseplate is offset toward the pots.. It works fine but looks a bit "off". And the string spacing is slightly thinner too on the Pro. The OFR has longer string lock bolts that sit past the recess in the body and as far as I know, the Gotoh is very similar to an OFR in shape/size (??). Best bet is a new or used Schaller IMO.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

New Schaller as in this one?

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Original...l-frt100-c.htm

Comment

No, that's an Original Floyd Rose. It's made by Schaller, so it can be a little confusing. A Schaller Floyd is almost identical to a JT-590, with the only difference being that it has hardened threaded inserts in the baseplate for the intonation screws instead of having them screw right into the softer baseplate metal, which is a big weak point on the 590. AFAIK, Warmoth has the best deal on the Schaller:

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floyd-Rose-C694.aspx

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.

Here are some pictures of my guitar in the current condition. It is going through some refurbishing process currently. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio DP 152, which if i am not mistaken was used by Steve Vai at some point in time, middle pickup is unknown, and the neck pickup is stock. The colour of the guitar has changed into orange like yellow due to use, and i cant stress enough how much i love this colour. Also, i had the neck sanded by a local luthier, hoping to get it polised some time soon.

Sorry all the images have been removed for personal reasons.
                Last edited by InFn-0; 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Nice crackle! I understand why you are in love with that colour.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I hope your local luthier doesn't hit that neck too hard with the sander

Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Nah, he did a great job with it. After the polish it should look smokin'

Comment

Either you have a camera that picks up every single speck of dust or that Schaller has the roughest paint I've ever seen. Does it look like it's been spray can repainted? My opinion, if it plays fine, I'd stay with it. The "rough" looking bridge on that firecrackle just works somehow. All the hardware and the finish kinda age matches pretty cool. I'd just replace that stupid E string lock screw and all of the intonation screws that look like they have been tightened till the heads stripped.. and then another 3/4 turn. Clean it up with some WD40 and go with it. That's a beaut!
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I would go with either Dunlop 6100, or the German made Jescar 57110. I prefer the Jescar wire, it is more consistently made and it is a little taller than 6100.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                            Either you have a camera that picks up every single speck of dust or that Schaller has the roughest paint I've ever seen. Does it look like it's been spray can repainted? My opinion, if it plays fine, I'd stay with it. The "rough" looking bridge on that firecrackle just works somehow. All the hardware and the finish kinda age matches pretty cool. I'd just replace that stupid E string lock screw and all of the intonation screws that look like they have been tightened till the heads stripped.. and then another 3/4 turn. Clean it up with some WD40 and go with it. That's a beaut!
                            It is kind of both ways. The rough paint is not all that apparent when you look with the naked eye, but when focused with the camera, it looks worse than it really is. And the floyd somehow manages to stay in tune perfectly with all that stuff going on there. And thanks for appreciating my beauty.

Originally posted by LexLuthier View Post
                            I would go with either Dunlop 6100, or the German made Jescar 57110. I prefer the Jescar wire, it is more consistently made and it is a little taller than 6100.
                            Dont think i will be re-fretting anymore as i am planning to sell it off. Managed to hit a jackpot this time, will let you guys know once i manage to buy it.

Comment

Working...
                            X