Tried out new Japanese Pro-Mods this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out new Japanese Pro-Mods this weekend

Hey all....I currently own 3 USA Pro-Mods, and absolutely love these guitars...so when Charvel announced they were moving production to Japan, I didn't necessarily think the guitars would suck....but i certainly was glad I got my USA models when I did. Matter of fact, I got my SoCal after Charvel announced Japanese production.

So, needless to say, I'm a bit partial. But I'm going to try and be as fair as possible.
    Let me start off by saying...from a playability point of view, these new guitars are GREAT. They play and feel like the USA models. Matter of fact, the fret work is actually a little more slick..particularly around the edges of the fingerboard. I don't really mind the rough frets, as my current Fender Amer. Special feels the same...so have many of my previously owned guitars. But good work goes out to Charvel for making this a little smoother. In contrast, I don't particularly like the new look to the guitars. I'm not a huge fan of direct mount pickups (on the SD models)...and the finish on the necks aren't as cool looking to me as the American models (of course, this is completely subjective).

Sound-wise, it was hard to tell because I wasn't playing through my own rig....but based on what I heard, they're pretty darn good. I played a polar white So Cal and a red San Dimas...and just like the American models, I like the SoCal a little better...although, generally, I prefer Seymour Duncan pickups.

At the end of the day, I think Charvel did a really good job with these guitars. In the grand scheme of things, yes, there are some small differences...but overall, they are the same guitar as the USA Pro-mods....which coming from a guy like me who's very partial to Charvel..USA Charvels in particular, that's a huge compliment. That said...all things being equal...the fact that list price on the USA's was about 200 more...I would be one to pay that 200...as I just much prefer the 'Made in USA' logo on any guitar. Not to mention, i didn't pay 1099 for any of my American models (paid 699 for my Telly, 799 for my SoCal, and 999 for my San Dimas Strat).

I suppose if "Made in America" isn't so important to you, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitar at that price. Way to go Charvel! Sad to see you not making USA production models...but glad to see you didn't skimp on the new imports.

Todd
    Todd M

Good to hear. I have 4 of the USA Pro Mods and love them, especially the neck shape. I have a one style 1, 2 style two's and a So Cal. It's too bad CT doesn't have any real charvel dealers where I could go and try one of the new one's out. On that note...

-Hey FMIC, how can I become a dealer who specializes in Jackson and Charvel? I'm serious too.

Comment

Is Brian Guitars defunct? New Haven, man they had the good stuff years ago.

Comment

Working...
      X