J80c Vs J90c: My First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J80c Vs J90c: My First Impressions

A lot of people have asked on other websites the difference between the J50c, J80c, and J90c. I've found comparisons of the first two but not of the J80c and the J90c.

J90c is stock in my 550xl's bridge position. J80c (bridge) is stock in my model 3a. The 3a was not setup, but here are my initial impressions.

The J80c is not nearly as hot as the J90c. We already knew this but I'm just confirming it. The J90c is much sharper and seems to be a lot more responsive than the J80c. In terms of tone, the J90 sounds like Savatage from Gutter Ballet through Edge of Thorns. The J80 has tones that would be perfect for Holy Diver.

J90c = crunch, sharpness, extreme distortion

J80 = thicker punch, blunter, not as distorted (but it's still for metal, no doubt).

I had the same gauge strings on both guitars. Both were in Drop-d. Both pickups were run through a Peavy Vyper tube 60 on the same high-gain settings. I then adjusted some stuff to try and get the J80 to match the J90's tone. It's never going to happen, the pickups are quite different.

I can't do a future test when the model 3a gets back from my tech fully set up because it will have different gauge strings on it (I'm going to keep it tuned in d-standard). It just won't be as accurate of a test.
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

I think Chris had a J-90c in his Charvel when they recorded Gutter Ballet.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the comparison
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Please do more comparisons with the J80C if you can. I have a J90C in a Fusion and it's very crunchy, good for thrash metal. But that's in a short scale basswood guitar.

I've loaded my alder body long scale guitar with a J50BC at the moment. I have a J90C sitting in the wings to try out, but I have yet to score a J80C still. The J50BC sounds quite good to me. I don't want something too hot in this guitar because it has a J100 single and I want to keep that in there.

The Fusion Deluxe with the J90C has a J200R in the neck which is a perfect hot companion to the J90C.

Comment

Sure thing, I'll do some more.
          RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
          My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

hey there --is there any way to tell which pickup (50,80 or 90)you have if there is no sticker or markings?

Comment

Working...
            X