Model 3a or model 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3a or model 4?

Both are white and both are in good condition. I'm assuming the model 3a would sound heavier?
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

I guess I'm asking how distorted and heavy the J50bc can get with the active midboost vs the j80c pickups in the model 3a.
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

J80c is a hotter pickup.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

So for heavy 80s metal I should go with the Model 3a? I love the switches and shark tooth inlays on the model 4 but if it's too weak I'll probably regret getting it.

Comment

Are you using an old non-master amp? Do you need worry about how hard you slam the preamp? What are your feelings about neck single coils?
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I'm using a crappy Peavy modeling amp, although it can actually produce some pretty awesome 80s metal tones. I literally play Savatage music.. everything from Sirens to Edge of Thorns. My 550xl is in drop d so I'm looking for a second Charvel to keep in standard.

I'm a strat guy when not playing metal so I don't necessarily mind single coils, although I couldn't imagine using them in metal. I'd screw the middle one down all the way so it doesn't get in the way.

I like the HH setup more than the HSS setup, but the model four I'm looking at is very nice looking. I'm just wondering how beefed up the J50bc gets with the active electronics engaged, compared to J80c or J90c (like the one in my 550xl) humbuckers.. I need to create a wall of distorted sound.

Comment

Well to me, the humbucker and the midboost sound like shit in the model 4. The midboost is great for the singles, but it just sounds flubby when used with the bridge hum. Given a flexible amp, pickup output is the least of your concerns. Go with a pickup that responds to your playing over output levels.

Also - you can always swap pickups later. The model 4 is a nicer guitar. The model 3 will have white dots while the model 4 has mop dots. After that, it's all individual preference. Obviously, if it's an 86 model 3 I would pass on it.
              Blank yo!

Comment

It's an 87 or an 88, with a JT6 and no pickguard. It's also white (aged), so it looks pretty sweet. The buckers are uncovered which is how I'd want them anyway. The Model 4 I'm looking at is also white, and it has shark fin inlays. I only use the bridge humbucker on my 550xl so I guess it would make more sense to get the model 3a. I doubt I would ever use the single coils on the model 4. In the end I believe the hardware, wood, and neck are practically the same between these two guitars, minus the inlays.

Comment

J50's kick ass with or with out the mid boost.
                  J80's are a hotter pick up sure but your amp settings are where the tone is.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

An EMG 81 in either guitar is an upgrade over the stock pickups anyway.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

I just ordered the model 3a. I just got better vibes from it, and I might actually use both of the pickups! I prefer to use as little gain as necessary on my amp, so it made more since to go for the hotter pickups- especially since I love my J90c so much. This is a big purchase for me so I'd rather not have to change the pups out. Anyways, I still owe this forum some pictures of my 550xl, so when this guitar arrives I'll take pictures of both, and maybe some of their milder strat siblings. Thanks for the help! I see a NGD in the future.

Comment

For some reason sharkies in an unbound rosewood neck doesn't turn me on. Binding helps, and Ebony rules.

I'd personally go for that 3A. It was pretty badass looking.

Where are you finding all of these guitars and for how much?

Also, on the J50BC, here's how I can describe it: Queensryche. I have one in my Fusion PRO.

I'm putting an 86 Model 4 together with the stock config but it will be a while before I have it up and running.

Oh, and GT, I have an EMG81 in the other Fusion PRO. I wouldn't say the J50BC slays it, but I will say I play the J50BC way more then the EMG81.

Comment

It's actually a different model 3a, an import version. The black headstock looks cooler anyway.

That domestic model 3a is for sale at Ishibashi Music. They're a great place to buy from (I got my strat from them) but it turns out they won't ship anything overseas that's under 50,000 yen, so I couldn't get the 3a (it was 29000 yen).

The Model 4 is on ebay right now. I think the current bid is $435.00. It's really nice looking and comes with its original case.

Comment

Working...
                          X