Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Charvel ID??

I am a newbie so please forgive...

I just picked up a Jackson/Charvel from a garage sale and would like it IDd if poss.

I am not sure how to post photos so i will start with a detailed description:

Strat body Opaque red.
    Black hardware.
    Strat tremelo std. type bridge (not floating)
    Two PUs exposed black double coil with "Jackson" on each.
    2 black knobs and a Strat style
    (3) position toggle switch
    No-locking nut.
    Maple(?) Neck with rosewood fingerboard.
    DOT inlays.
    Head stock is NOT pointed or black.
    Inline black tuners with "Charvel" on ea.
    Headstock says CHARVEL with pointed neck guitar logo with an " R", and "Jackson/Charvel under it.
    Head is sort of Strat style, but not fully scalloped like San Demos.
    Back plate is plain etched CHARVEL LOGO guitar with "Jackaon/Charvel under (Like Headstock)
    Serial# is 7 digits, beginning with "1" (1XXXXX) NO country, or state of origin
    Probably a cheapo later model, but I can find no guitar like it in all the material on line.

Any info would be appreciated...(model, year, country of origin etc.

If needed. I can post pics if someone tells me how..

please help..THANKS!!

Sounds like a 2002 Charvel Standard. (Korean Import)
    Here's a catalog scan from then...
    http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...Charvel_03.jpg
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Sounds like a 2002 Charvel Standard. (Korean Import)
      Here's a catalog scan from then...
      http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...Charvel_03.jpg
      Korean? Those were Japanese. That's a scan of my catalog I sent Henrik.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was thinking the same, but he says the logo has a pointy rather than the 3-per-side headstock & has "Jackson/Charvel" under it...

We'll probably need pics. To post them, get a free account at www.photobucket.com, then link to them here by clicking the little icon at the top of the post box that looks like a picture of a tree and pasting the url into the window that pops up.
        Last edited by dg; 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Korean? Those were Japanese. That's a scan of my catalog I sent Henrik.
          Interesting.
          I thought all the 1xxxxxx serials were Korean, or am I thinking Jackson's?
          -Rick

Comment

Here are the photos: Hope this works...

Comment

Looks like a Korean made CHS model.

Comment

Yep. Korean.
                -Rick

Comment

That's not from the same series as the 2002 catalog then.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You're right Joe.
                    I don't recall when the CHS models came out.
                    They're essentially JS bodies with Charvel necks.
                    -Rick

Comment

1995 CHS3
                      http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/in...AcouPage06.jpg
                      uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

THANKS GUYS!!!

I wasn't expecting it to be top line import, but I guess Korean is better than Indonesian....
                        But...I thought Korea only made the "Charvette" series guitars??????????????

At a GS, this lady was selling it for a friends son, and I talked her down from $75. to $35. because the retaining nut on the input jack was missing..so I'm not complaining....
                        Last edited by japonaliya; 10-06-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Good deal for sure.The Korean ones have the wide spaced 12th fret markers Japanese ones had the close ones.
                          Korean ser #'s start with a 10 Jap with a 9
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I picked up a CHS-2 for ~$60 (if I recall correctly) and the body was in terrible cosmetic shape. I think it's a great deal for $35. If nothing else, these are fun to tinker with and mine doesn't play too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                              I picked up a CHS-2 for ~$60 (if I recall correctly) and the body was in terrible cosmetic shape. I think it's a great deal for $35. If nothing else, these are fun to tinker with and mine doesn't play too bad.
                              I play mostly blues-rock, so I like simple guitars..I HATE Floyds even though you can do neat stuff with them .. I am def. NOT a shredder.

I have owned scores of guitars over the years and am not a snob.Maybe I am not that great a musician, so in my mind, I really can't justify the difference between a $300. guitar and a $3,000. one, except for show...

For example...I have had a 57 Strat, and a 80's Squire w. EMF PU AKA Jeff Healy, and I preferred the Squire!!!
                              Likewise, in a music store I've picked on USA made Strats, re-issue Strats, and good quality imports, and in my OP, they all played pretty much the same, esp. since most of the tone was coming from the electronics and/or amp. Now I am not saying there was not ANY difference (besides the finishing touches) but I guess a better ear than mine is needed to justify the difference, and playability.

Some here may not agree, but I appreciate a guitar as a machine, not so much as a collector item, where playability isn't as great a factor as rarity ...

Sometimes you might need to tweek things a bit on the cheaper instruments like change PUs or the bridge, but the cost of that hardware is much less than the cost difference between high-end and std. instruments!
                              When I get my CHS3 tweeked, and up and running I will post here my impressions of it....
                              Last edited by japonaliya; 10-07-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X