Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Model3B worth saving?

Here is my 1986 Model 3B with my DK2
    Picked this up a few months ago. I would like to refinish the "burgandy mist" paint if it is worth a couple bucks and try to keep it original.There is nothing into the wood, just some scuffs... OR....would sending it out for some new paint and custom flame work be sacrilegious?

the day I got it.

Serial

Scuff

A couple more on the top horn.

a few more scuffs.

GTWGITS

Would appreciate your feedback. AND thank you to all those that chimed in to help me when I got this. The neck is friggin unbelievably smooth. Like polished glass. This would make a nice winter project if I can save the paint.
    I look forward to hearing what the general consensus is as far as holding any value down the road.

Thanks!

As an investment it's a bad move, but if it's a helluva player why not.

Comment

Definitely not sacrilegeous to refin an import, but like Axewielder said, you never recoup the expense of this kind of work as far as resale goes. If you plan on keeping it a long time, and want to make it cool for yourself, go for it.

Also, not to nitpick, but it's a Model 3. There was a 3A (HH version), but the 3B was a bass.
      Last edited by dg; 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

refin away...

Haters gonna hate
        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I thought it was a 3B because it says that on the back of one of the pickups.

Comment

I say go nuts - but you won't make i worth any more than it is today. If I was having the work done I'd have the nut and bridge changed to Floyd units as well. All told, your probably better off picking up a MIJ Socal body in your preferred color and using that.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

+1 on the refin and keep the Invader.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That is a great idea Grandturk. That would give me time to work on this body and not put me down to just one guitar. Your saying this neck, bridge and pickguard/pickups etc would slide into that body, unless I can pick up a loaded one?
                The Kahler on this one is missing the fine tuners and the screws for the locking nut, so the Floyd might be worth swapping to as I am struggling to find these parts without gettign bent over.

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                  That is a great idea Grandturk. That would give me time to work on this body and not put me down to just one guitar. Your saying this neck, bridge and pickguard/pickups etc would slide into that body, unless I can pick up a loaded one?
                  The Kahler on this one is missing the fine tuners and the screws for the locking nut, so the Floyd might be worth swapping to as I am struggling to find these parts without gettign bent over.
                  Be careful swapping to a floyd as the Kahler 2500 on your guitar has different post spacing (narrower) to a floyd, you will have to dowell and redrill, or look for a Kahler 2700 killer, which will drop straight in

Comment

Your saying this neck, bridge and pickguard/pickups etc would slide into that body, unless I can pick up a loaded one?
                    No - the Kahler unit will not fit Floyd posts. You would need to pick up a Floyd as well. The pickguard and neck will work fine and so will the string lock on the neck you have.

Point is - those Kahler Fulcrum units suck - there was a reason they were only around for a year and nobody else used them. Having a Floyd installed can also be expensive + refinishing - you're talking about $300 - $500 on a guitar that's not worth $250. I just meant to say that you can kill a couple birds with one stone by getting a new import body.

I of course am no stranger to spending money on cheap-o guitars - in fact I'm "restoring" a Model 3A. John - ulijdavid on the forum - is repairing and painting the neck for me now - He previously did the floyd routing on a strat for me - nut and body route - drop him a PM if you still want to modify the one you have.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks again Grandturk. That does sound like the better option. I could then experiment with the '86 body painting it myself or I can PM John about trying to save this one.
                      You are talking about a body like this:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Charvel-So-...item2c572b5108

Of course the pickup routes are different then what the pickguard is now, but I could work with this. I appreciate your input.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I thought it was a 3B because it says that on the back of one of the pickups.
                        I believe the 3B signifies model 3 bridge pickup.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have the Invader in the bridge position.
                          It states 3B in the middle single coil:

Comment

I think its funny how they had all those different stickers for the pickups. The singles in my 1A had stickers that said "Model 1A & 3"
                            Blank yo!

Comment

doesn't really seem to be worth it, to be honest. Unless you're doing the finish yourself? I would do the FR conversion before doing a refinish but only if it already played really nice.
                              I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X