Starting to see alot of Surfcasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to see alot of Surfcasters

So I am starting to see alot of surfcasters out there...anyone have a take on these ? Its not much of a metal guitar but seems versatile...anyone have any opinions on these ? really thinking about grabbing one

Prices were in the crazy zone a couple years ago and then interest seemed to flicker out. Some were going as high as $1K - crazy, but there's nothing else really like them out there.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

They sound cool, play well.

Never owned one, but did play one once.

There are a ton of them on the bay recently for reasonable prices.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

My .02:

Surfcasters are AMAZING guitars, but nothing like most of the rest of the JC brood. They were built and finished extremely well, and have a tone all their own. To me, they are a successful marriage of the play/shredability of the metal guitar and the look/feel/sound of the upcoming alternative and indie scene 'tone' guitars of the time. (Fender Jaguars, Jazzmasters, & the like)

The lipstick pickups' low output isn't suited very well for metal shredding, but there are some versions with humbuckers at the bridge if that's your aim. The lipsticks have a 'chime' to them that really sings out in a mix, as well as a very warm and booming bottom end. There is a decent array of tones available in the 2-lipstick models, but I imagine it is expanded even further with the 3-lipstick or lipstick/HB configurations of the later surfcasters. (Can't give an opinion on those, as I haven't played anything but the early ones)

I am partial- I own 4 Surfcaster 12s because I have never found another guitar that plays & sounds better for me- I've owned 6 or more other 12 strings, and played a dozen more, but the surfy is where it's at for me.

If you are looking to pick one up, stick with the Japanese-made Charvels made form '91 to '95. They are the most sought-after ones, and for good reason. You can find 2-lipstick models anywhere from $600 to $2,000 depending on the condition, configuration and finish color. Japanese-made Jackson branded ones are a small step down tonally IMO, and the $500 - $1000 going price usually reflects that. Once Jackson moved production to india, the quality took a steep nosedive. I've heard nothing but bad things about the ones made after '99.
        I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

thanks...great info

Comment

+1
            Charvel CST 060 1992
            Charvel CST 070 1992
            Charvel CDS 090 1993
            Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
            Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
            Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
            Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
            Duesenberg 49er 2012
            Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
            Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
            History TH-LS Limited 2009
            History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

i see 4 on ebay right now and all are around 1k

Comment

one at 2500....!

Comment

I've had both Charvel and Jackson "branded" Surfcasters. To me, the Jackson played and sounded better than the Charvel which is why I kept the Jackson (SC-1). It may have to do with the fact that the Jackson has an Ash body as compared to the Mahogany of the Charvel. Just MHO.

Comment

I love Surfcasters. Never played one, but they are sexy as hell.
                    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

The Charvels came with both body wood options- Ash on the solid-color models, and Mahogany/Maple top on the transparent color models. I have both from the Charvel era (2 of each, actually) but have not yet AB'd them to tell if there is a tonal difference. (the 2 ash ones are at the studio right now for recording, and the 2 mahogany ones are sitting next to my desk at work waiting to be rotated in to the flock)
                      I'll post an opinion on the difference when I form one.
                      I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

I DON'T, however, like what Jackson did to the headstock when they took over production on these- the offset body shape NEEDS the gumby headstock to echo the forward lean of the guitar's overall visual feel. The straightened-out jackson ones just look mismatched to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X