Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 80's model 4 & 6 locking nut questions

Hey Guys,
    I've had my model 6 for almost 10 years now. Recently I picked up a sweet model 4 or 4a, haven't really figured it out yet. Anyway's, I've noticed both guitars have this annoying problem. The locking screw for the B string picks up the string in its grooves and will cause it to become out of tune. When I first noticed the problem on my 6 I thought it was just a flaw and passed it off. Now I see the same issue with my 4. Is this a common issue? :think: Is there a fix?

I've tried tuning both clockwise and counter clockwise but I get the same results.

Here are some random pics:

Please excuse the finger prints...

Thanks a lot and keep rockin!!
    Last edited by Buchez; 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM. Reason: Fixed the pictures
    88 Model 6
    88 Model 4a
    2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

I can't see the pix, but I know what your talking about. Yes, it's common with most Model series charvels. All the string locks will invariably get grooves from use and prevent locking. The Kahler-knockoffs that came with the JT-6 (the ones w flathead screws) wear out superfast cos it's made of soft metal (like the JT6!). the real Kahler made lasts a lot longer, but can still wear out. You can replace the plates, but the string grooves into the housing as well. My advice is to replace with a real Kahler-made one.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I think your saying that the string is tight against the string lock screw threads, and when you tighten the screw to lock the string, it is riding in the screw thread and goes out of tune.

If so, that is a normal flaw in the string lock design.
      I center the fine tuners on the trem, so that after I lock the strings down, I can fine tune from there.
      Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Yea i'm not sure why the pics are not posting.... must be where they are being hosted from.

Thanks for the feedback though. I assumed this was a common problem but had to ask.
        88 Model 6
        88 Model 4a
        2005 Schecter C1 - Elite

Comment

Working...
        X