• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you sell ... to buy ...

So, would you sell a 5fx:

to buy a 1988/1989 Fender USA Strat:

Opinions ?
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Nope, these Charvels are getting rarer and rarer and Fender Strats are very popular. Plus, AFAIK, late eighties weren't the best years for Fender

Comment

hell no!! are you kidding?
      I'd not sell that M5FX (I got pretty much the same one) for five of these strats!
      the fender is probably alright if you want one, but for me it'd need; more frets; a hum in bridge-position, getting rid of this stupid pickguard and the always in my way middle PU, a locking nut and a real trem to be as interessting as the charvel.
      despite the fact firecrackle just kicks ass!!!

I don't know about the austrian charvel market (I doubt its better than here in germany), but these fine charvels don't show up every week, while finding a second hand strat isn't that hard, really...

if you want I strat I suggest to wait as long as it needs to ADD it to your collection.
      but if you sell that charvel; I'd almoust bet you'll regret it some day.
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I'd have to play the Fender first. For the right guitar, yea I would
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Do you actually want that "Fender" sound? And, do you already have another guitar that sounds the same as the M5FX? Are they worth the same money?
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'd keep the 5fx and pick up a new Mexi Strat.
            Scott

Comment

I'd be all over that Fire Crackle!

If you are into Metal, regular strats (I must qualify this or GrandTurk will be all over my ass) with three low output single coil pickups SUCK ASS.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'd be all over that Fire Crackle!

If you are into Metal, regular strats (I must qualify this or GrandTurk will be all over my ass) with three low output single coil pickups SUCK ASS.
                Since I've been called out in this thread (what the hell? And I only accidentally clicked on this "import" thread - must have been my Spidey Sense) - I'll weigh in.

A. I love Strats.

B. I do not love American Standard Strats - almost entirely because of the 2 point fulcrum bridge.

C. These are completely different guitars - neck through, locking trem, metal shred machine vs. a quality classic rock guitar.

And yes, you can play metal on low output single coils - just ask Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Roth and Yngwie.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

As you may have guessed, I already bought and sold...

Originally posted by mraus View Post
                  Nope, ...
                  Originally posted by micha View Post
                  hell no!! are you kidding? ...
                  Of course I know, that the 5fx is "classier" than a Fender Strat, but I'm not a collector, so that's no point to me

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  ... For the right guitar, yea I would
                  I played (and bought) the Fender first. Having decided to keep her, I started to think about selling something

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  Do you actually want that "Fender" sound? And, do you already have another guitar that sounds the same as the M5FX? Are they worth the same money?
                  Yes, I actually want that sound for a couple of songs (I play in a 70's - 90's classic-rock coverband)
                  And my "main" guitar is the Limited91 with two PRO-Soloists as backups; (to me) they all sound and play better than the 5fx.
                  And I got more money for the 5fx, than I paid for the Strat; but "value" is subjective anyway, as we all know.

I don't know why, but I wanted to have a black/white Strat with maple board for 30 years;
                  I tried Mexico-Strats with HSS and OFR, but they didn't look "right" !

I have a couple of Fusions, that get some playing time every now and then, so I wouldn't sell one; same with my other Charvel Models.
                  This 5fx just never got picked ! The neck felt chunkier than the Soloist's necks.

Anyway, thanks for your comments !

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
                    I don't know why, but I wanted to have a black/white Strat with maple board for 30 years;
                    It's a classic.

Everyone needs a few good strats!

-------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Yes ! I remember your pics !
                      My first "good" guitar was a Squier JV-series (black/white with maple board)
                      Had to sell it to afford a floyded Ibanez - great improvement back then; now I think different

and "Made in Japan" started it all ...

Comment

I would rarely sell any guitar to get another. I only sell a guitar because I end up not liking it. I have never regretted keeping a guitar but I have regretted getting rid of a few.

Comment

Ughh...Strats...

Comment

Never in my life!
                            Why settle for a "worse" guitar design?

Comment

Now that the whole story... and list of other guitars you have is out.... Yes, I would. But I'm just as happy with the '06 MIM black with maple and Dimarzio HS's as I would be with a USA Std.. Except for the pups, specs are basically the same '06 and up..
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X