What should my second Charvel be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my second Charvel be?

Ok, so I'm absolutely loving my 550xl like nothing else. I have it set up for drop-d tuning, but sometimes I want to play rock/metal in other tunings. I have an 85' MIJ strat setup for standard tuning, but it has custom shop 69's in it so it can't really play rock/metal.

I'm really itching to buy my 550xl a brother or sister charvel. My budget will be $200-$300. I understand I'm not going to get neck-thru construction or extended range for that price. I don't really use the floyd so I could live with a kahler, but then again I want good tuning stability. I also love the pickups that are in my 550xl (especially the rails humbucker although the jackson full-size bucker in the bridge sounds almost as good), so a guitar with the same or similar pups would be great.

Anybody have any suggestions about what model guitar to go for?
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

I've never had any tuning stability issues with the flatmount Kahler in my Model 4. Although I don't use the trem at all.

You could look at other guitars in the Contemporary line. You might find a 375, 475 or Fusion in your price range.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Do you have a preference for a full size or dinky body? That should help narrow it down some. I think the Predator & Fusion Deluxe may have the same pickups & control layout as the 550XL. You may need a little over $300 for either (especially with shipping), but I think they'd be your best choices, going by what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        I've never had any tuning stability issues with the flatmount Kahler in my Model 4. Although I don't use the trem at all.

You could look at other guitars in the Contemporary line. You might find a 375, 475 or Fusion in your price range.
        Too funny, I was thinking Model 4 as well.

Scale length might be a concern too. Fusions are short scale; I don't know if that's a factor for you.

Comment

I like the scale of the 550xl. I also like the body size. I'm assuming that the 550xl is a full-sized guitar- it's the same size as my strat.
          My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

The 550xl is a dinky sized body. 7/8 size to a strat.

Comment

Wow I didn't realize this. Well then, I like the dinky sized body as well as the full size strat body. Are all of the model series guitars full-size?

Is there any reason/advantage to the dinky body?

Comment

Originally posted by savatage View Post
                Wow I didn't realize this. Well then, I like the dinky sized body as well as the full size strat body. Are all of the model series guitars full-size?
                Models 1-4 are I believe. You can usually tell by looking at the body - Models with strat looking bodies are more rounded than Dinky bodies, which usually have sharp edges.

Originally posted by savatage View Post
                Is there any reason/advantage to the dinky body?
                If you are small, the dinky body doesn't make you look smaller. And less weight.

Comment

i hope i don't get banned for posting this outside the classifieds, but i have a 275 deluxe i would sell for 200.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                  The devil takes my mind but I don't care. He let me breathe. He gives me air

Comment

Originally posted by sharkfinnish View Post
                    i hope i don't get banned for posting this outside the classifieds,
                    if you are aware of that risk and know that it shouldn't be posted outside of the classifieds, then you are taking your life in your hands advertising in the forums
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

i hope i don't get banned for posting this outside the classifieds
                      Hope all you want...

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have 12,000 posts, but lighten up man. Savatage wants a reasonably priced Charvel and I was trying to help him out with a deal.
                        Last edited by sharkfinnish; 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM.
                        The devil takes my mind but I don't care. He let me breathe. He gives me air

Comment

an Avenger, slanted pickup rhoads, i know its not a strat, but they are some late '80s/early '90s coolness, not sure what they are worth or if they are easy to find

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have 12,000 posts, but lighten up man. Savatage wants a reasonably priced Charvel and I was trying to help him out with a deal.
                            you're a great guy. You want to sell gear here, you need to sign up for a Platinum membership and post your ad in the Classifieds. You don't need 12,000 posts but you do need to observe the rules of the road
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

And help yourself out at the same time.

Do yourself a favor - delete your WTS post and pay to put it in the Classifieds where it belongs.

Comment

Working...
                              X