Model 6 pickup weirdness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 pickup weirdness.

I restored an old Model 6. It has the stock stacked humbucker single coils, but I had to put in a Seymour Duncan for the bridge humbucker.

Trouble is, when I use neck and bridge or all three pickups together, it sounds out-of-phase and weird.

I tried another Duncan and it also sound weird and out of phase.

Do I need to wire the Duncan in different somehow?

I have it installed as per standard specs, black wire to hot, green to ground with bare to ground, red and white soldered and taped off.

Or maybe it is my Midboost circuit board acting weird? Or do I have the J200s installed wrong? (neck in middle for instance? Are they even reverse wound ever?)

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Even though Duncans have the same wire colors as Jackson 4 - conductor humbuckers, the start & finish wires for each coil aren't the same. This means that when you use Duncan & Jackson pickups on the same guitar, you need to make the Duncan's green wire hot & the black wire ground so everything will be in phase when you use multiple pickups. Or you could leave the Duncan as is & switch wires around on the Jackson pickups, whichever is easiest.

See how green & black are opposites here, but white & red still get wired together:

Last edited by dg; 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

dg, I want your babies. I must have forgotten or not realised that, as I have used that chart and similar to totally rewire a 750XL before + another model 6. Man, I am dumb!!
      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

No prob! Re-doing my 750 was where I learned the hard way about those differences. It's interesting how some sites list the Jackson green as the hot wire, even though I've never seen one wired that way from the factory. It makes sense when comparing to Duncans, though.

Comment

Working...
        X