Model 6 question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 question...

I was reading an ebay addie for a model 6, and the seller stated that Model 6s with a Kahler had thinner neck profile than the Model 6s with the JT-6. Any truth to this?

That's what I have heard.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I've also heard the same, but never played one to compare.

Comment

Yes, I've also heard there were two different profiles. I had one with the JT-6, but it was very comfortable, like the D-shape "speed neck". I don't know if I could deal with any thinner than that.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Next time Im at storage, Ill measure the one I have with a Kahler and compare it to my JT6 ones and post up for ya.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

I don't know about the 87-88 model 6's but my 86 model 6 neck is not as thin as the 90 soloist pro I just sold. the 86 has a great neck profile.

Comment

Frank, just let me know if you want me to stop by with mine if you want to see for yourself.

Comment

That...

That might be a mistake...I might leave with it!

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Frank, just let me know if you want me to stop by with mine if you want to see for yourself.

Comment

That might be a mistake...I might leave with it!
                    that one's going to be buried with me!!!

Comment

I have a 6 with Kahler and one without.

Honestly the Kahler 6 feels thicker. Even with paint removed from the neck. I am in fact certain it is thicker, and it is not just a feel thing.

It may be that profile at the 1-5 fret area is slightly different from the later 6, but it's a noticeable difference.

I have no way to show this other than photos.
                      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Every Model 6 has a differently shaped neck, since they were shaped by hand. There's no uniformity based on year or features etc. I will say that I've never played a Model 6 that had a bad-feeling neck. Grover & Co. certainly got good results out of Fujigen on that bunch of guitars.

Comment

Oh I agree...even tho they are thick by my standards...I can still fly on them. Just a real nice shape...

Comment

Yes, that's correct in my experience, but not to any degree worth considering.
                            My '86 (Kahler) Model 5-6 necks feel thinner from the nut on up than '87's.

It's not a major difference though, enough to be slightly noticable but not enough that it changes the playability. I like thin necks, the thinner the better for the most part, but the minimal difference between the '86's and '87's on neck profile alone wouldn't be as much a factor as even a color preference.
                            Kahler vs Floyd is the only real playability consideration between these years.

The '87's seem slightly thinner again than the '88's that I have, but I don't think that they are - it's just that the 88's seem to have a more 'D'-ish profile than the '86-'87's, ie slightly more rectanglish than ovalish (though of course they're both rectangular and both ovalish, it's just minute differences in the rounding). They both feel good in slighly different ways, but the 'D' maybe makes the circumference a little longer. Maybe.

Even crossing all three model years from '86 to '88 it's a very small difference.
                            The difference between (some) Gibson necks vs Charvel necks feels like ten times the difference between an '86 and an '88 Charvel, at least to me.
                            Last edited by crackle; 02-28-2010, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crackle View Post
                              Yes, that's correct in my experience, but not to any degree worth considering.
                              My '86 (Kahler) Model 5-6 necks feel thinner from the nut on up than '87's.

It's not a major difference though, enough to be slightly noticable but not enough that it changes the playability. I like thin necks, the thinner the better for the most part, but the minimal difference between the '86's and '87's on neck profile alone wouldn't be as much a factor as even a color preference.
                              Kahler vs Floyd is the only real playability consideration between these years.

The '87's seem slightly thinner again than the '88's that I have, but I don't think that they are - it's just that the 88's seem to have a more 'D'-ish profile than the '86-'87's, ie slightly more rectanglish than ovalish (though of course they're both rectangular and both ovalish, it's just minute differences in the rounding). They both feel good in slighly different ways, but the 'D' maybe makes the circumference a little longer. Maybe.

Even crossing all three model years from '86 to '88 it's a very small difference.
                              The difference between (some) Gibson necks vs Charvel necks feels like ten times the difference between an '86 and an '88 Charvel, at least to me.
                              Very insightful info! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X