New guy with pron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with pron

What's up fellow JC lovers? I've been a longtime lurker and deadbeat member earlier (forgotten password) I love this forum because it's rich in information and knowledgeable people. I'll follow with some of my guitar collection:

My favorite go-to guitar: Charvel Model 88. #168

275 Deluxe Toothpaste

Textured yellow strat

Another prized guitar: Washburn Blackjack Dimebag Signature. Remants of the autograph remain on the upper V fin.

Now there's quite a story behind this one. '86 Model 6 with the kahler, my favorite bridge. When I was still shitting green in freshman year, my older brother's best friend was in a story of the year wannabe band. This was the guitarists main axe. I saw it at their first show and have been in love since. It was being used as a hula hoop ie) hair bands.

A couple years down the road when I was just turned 17, I sold my 92 Gibson SG Special for 650 dollars. I went to go chill with the bass player of the same Charvel guy's band and got to talking about this black cherry beast. Scott had long since retired it since he bought a brand new PRS McCarty 24. It was the ultimate let-down to hear it had been smashed into 3 separte pieces when some freak strap lock accident occured during their practice. I asked to see what was left of the guitar. Bass player guy was keeping it at his house/practice space. He pulled out the grey chainsaw case out of his closet and twisted the butterfly latches. A perfect example of Japanese made goodness - A flawless Model 6. "WTF?!@ I thought you said it was smashed?" He explained the local luthier Mark Denton out of Martinsville, Va totally rebuilt the guitar fixing the horrible headstock break and the lower bout of poplar with the controls was once again reattached to the rest of the body. With Gibson money in my pocket, i began inquiring about a purchase. Bass player guy wanted 1400 as he showed me immaculate San Dimas Soloists. I explained the Charvel was the Japanese Soloist counterpart. I bargained a little bit ... down to $200. Love this story to the day. Other than some electrical problems, a lovely guitar.

My temporary Model 6a:

Notice crack under the bridge. The spot where the break was fixed.

incredible work done at the headstock. No rough edges and reattached fingerboard. I can't even tell where the respray paint begins or ends!

Stay tuned for the Model 88 story!
    Thanks for reading
    Last edited by sharkfinnish; 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM.
    The devil takes my mind but I don't care. He let me breathe. He gives me air

Nice guitars. What a steal...bastard.

Comment

Sorry with that thread title couldn't resist.

Welcome!

Comment

you need a Budman oversized pickup ring for that M6!

Welcome sharkfinnish.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

haha whats with district 9? im slow...

i only had 1 oversized ring for the 88 and the M6 so i traded back and forth. the little gap doesnt bother me too much. JC parts are hard to come by around here. the leeches at the stores wouldn't know the difference in the rings anyhow.

Comment

have you seen Budman's rings at fretsonthenet.com? They are oversized to suit Jacksons & Charvels whilst properly fitting standard pickups. The regular J/C ones are often too roomy for most pickups because they are built to accommodate the cover on Jackson pickups. And regular pickup rings are narrower than the screw holes on a Jackson or Charvel. Dave has addressed both of these issues with his custom rings.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by sharkfinnish View Post
              haha whats with district 9? im slow...
              The creatures in the film were derisively referred to as "prawns"
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

lol nice one. the deanforum guys used the word pron extensively.

Comment

Huh a Dean forum guy welcome.Deans are cool.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Waiting for the story on that 88.
                    Nice grain on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X